Chapter Twenty-seven

The table was heaped with maple-basted turkey breast, roasted asparagus, slivered almonds, sweet potato puree, caramelized Brussels sprouts topped with red onions, and brown-sugar-glazed carrots.

Oscar held up his wine glass. "Spring is a celebration of the rebirth of hope, and a reminder of the promise of life everlasting. I can't think of a better time to hear our Clara sing again." The others raised their glasses and said, "To Clara."

Earlier, the reunion had filled the Matinee Room with screams of disbelief. Clara had her own moment of stupefaction when she found out how long she'd been asleep and the truth about Daniel.

Jonathan had filled her in. "Mary threw a plate at his head last week."

Clara laughed, looking at Daniel. "Is that what the girls have to do to get your attention?"

"That's nothing." Jonathan grinned. "Wait a bit, they love to fight in front of everyone."

Daniel stayed quiet. He couldn't help but feel Jonathan was taking advantage of the situation, making sure each comment was both embarrassing to Mary and insulting to himself.

During the meal, the others took turns telling Clara everything she'd missed in the last three years. She sat beside Daniel, slapping his shoulder whenever the news shocked her. Her enthusiasm was infectious and he liked her immediately.

When the laughter petered out, Clara became serious. "No one has hollered or stomped their feet. I wish you would get mad at me, because the fact is, I left you all." Her eyes welled up. "I was hurting so much, I didn't want to go on another day. I gave up all the love, and all the fun, and all the living so I wouldn't feel the misery anymore. I had no idea I was gone for so long. I can never make it up to you, but I promise, it will never, ever happen again."

"Oh, Clara," sobbed Blanche. "My makeup is running."

Oscar stood up and put a hand on her shoulder. "It was lucky enough to come back before too much time passed. No one is mad at you. We're so full of happiness, there's no room for hate."

"I'll drink to that," Jonathan cheered, lifting his glass.

Oscar looked unimpressed, but he refrained from any scolding and instead shook his head, then sat down. A thunderous flatulence erupted from his seat. He grumbled and tossed the Whoopee cushion like a Frisbee across the room.

Petey clutched his stomach, laughing. "Aw, man," he choked. "That was classic!"

Clara laughed with the others and said, "I forgot how beautiful this is."

Daniel suspected she wasn't talking about the chandeliers or the crystal-embedded ceiling. He understood completely; Clara was talking about Willard's itself—the world within the store.

The meal was topped off with a raspberry-filled, triple-layer vanilla cake. Petey saved the meringue frosting for last, scraping the plate repeatedly until Oscar gave him a look. He put down his fork and tried to hide a yawn.

"Let's get you back to your display, precious," Clara said. She and Blanche stood up, reaching for Petey. Clara turned to Daniel. "And thank you, gorgeous," she said.

"For what?"

"For playing that music! I think that's the reason I woke up," she said. "I heard that jazz song and I thought Virginia was playing. It's the only thing that could bring me back to my family."

"My pleasure." He smiled.

She ruffled his hair playfully. "Oh, I just love you!"

Oscar cleared away the dishes as Jonathan and Ruth Ann helped take everything else into the kitchen, leaving Mary and Daniel sitting across from one another.