Chapter Thirty-eight

Daniel held back and watched from the entrance to the Music Room. Everyone was already there. Petey sat on the piano bench with his arms folded in front of his chest. You and me both, Petey, he thought.

Mary came up to him, but stopped when she saw his blotchy face and red eyes. "What's wrong?"

Daniel almost laughed. He pressed his mouth into a line and looked down. She took him into the aisle, away from the others. "You can do this," she coaxed. "Clara said you've got the song down perfectly."

"That's not it."

"Then what?"

"What if Petey does remember? What am I going to find out about my mom? That she didn't care about hurting you guys, or that she was threatened to leave? I know how Petey feels," he confessed. "She left me and my dad without saying goodbye too." His hand slipped inside his pocket, searching for the keychain that wasn't there. "I'm scared," he admitted.

Mary linked her fingers through his. "Hold on, Daniel," she whispered.

He squeezed her hand and asked, "Can I do this?"

"All signs point to yes."

They walked back into the room, still holding hands. Jonathan leaned against the wall with his arms crossed in front of his chest, partially hidden in the shadows. Petey was kicking up a fuss, with Oscar standing over him.

"Petey," Oscar began, "we all admire your tenacity, but you should know your jealousy is having the opposite effect that you desire."

"What does that mean?" he grumbled.

"It means your behaviour is distancing you from the people who love and care for you instead of bringing them closer."

"I don't care."

Oscar smoothed out his mustache—a classic Oscar manoeuvre that meant, "Fine, I'll pretend you're in charge."

"I already told you," Petey spat out. "I don't remember anything. When I woke up that night she was gone!"

Oscar continued, "Sometimes, a particular smell or a song can trigger a memory. Everyone has worked very hard trying to help you remember Virginia. Why do you think we've worked so hard for this?"

"Because Blanche needs to see Maureen," he said.

"Yes. And why would we do this for Blanche?" Oscar asked.

Petey waited a few beats, then sniffed. "Because we love her."

"Exactly." Oscar sighed. "Will you at least try to remember? That's all we're asking."

Petey looked at Blanche. Her hands were clenched together in a white-knuckled grip. "If you leave the store," he said, "are you going to ever come back?"

"I don't know how it works, pigeon," Blanche told him honestly.

"Will you come back for us if you can?"

"You bet a pile of rubes I will."

"All right," he murmured.

Mary sat down beside Petey so he could smell the perfume. Daniel took his place at the high end of the bench. His hands were shaking so badly the first few chords made him cringe. Petey frowned at the keys until the song was over.

"Again," Petey asked. His voice had lost its earlier spite. Everyone watched, not daring to speak. Daniel complied, and this time the song was almost perfect. Petey looked up and gave Daniel a tiny smile. "You play like her."