Chapter Thirty-four: Cassidy

Something snapped me out of the trance I was in, forcing me back to what was really happening. I could no longer see Rosie's legs peeking out from behind the wall. She wasn't there anymore.

I felt Drew's body slowly stir and dropped him. Tiny drops of blood leaked from his neck and I wondered how much I'd drunken. He was alive, but barely. The effect of my bite had woken him up but he was barely moving. I thought back to when I'd shamed Rosie for feeding on David, and now here I was kneeling over his cousin's body who'd I'd just bitten. David had survived though, maybe Drew would too. Maybe he just needed some rest like Elle had said David needed. Maybe the blood loss wasn't that bad. At least I hoped it wasn't.

I wiped my face with the back of my hand causing blood to stain the skin. I had to somehow find a way out of here. I had to find Rosie. I needed---- I saw Brandon across the room standing in the doorway. Back pressed to the doorframe, listening.

"Brandon?" When I spoke his name it came out sounding like a question.

He pressed a finger to his lips in a way of telling me to stay quiet. He scampered toward the cage, grasping the bars. "They know I'm here and they're not far," he whispered. They? His eyes wandered to Drew's unconscious body and then back to me. But he didn't say anything about it. "I have to get you out of here."

His hands clenched the bars hard and his face turned beat red as he tried to force them apart. When the first attempt wasn't a success he tried once more, stretching until a decent-sized space was left between. I was amazed by his strength, almost forgetting he was a werewolf.

He grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the room as quickly as he could. It only occurred to me now of where we were. Now we stood in the main part of a huge old looking abandoned warehouse. Dark stains covered the cement floor along with numerous cords and pieces of cardboard. He dragged me until we were at the other end of the warehouse under the roof of the floor above.

"Brandon, you came---How did you---"

"Strong sense of smell comes in handy," he said.

I smiled but it didn't last. "We have to find Rosie," I said. "David---I don't know what he wants but with his unpredictable powers it seems he is capable of anything."

"I know where she is, but if we want to save her we need a plan, and a good one because David's not alone."

"Who's with him?" I asked

"That insane girl from the school..." he trailed off with a look of disgust. "Whatever her name is."

I felt panic bloom in my chest. I knew how crazy David was but just listening to that girl speak told me that she was definitely not all there.

"We have to save her. She's my best friend and David---. He's crazy. The way he was talking. He's not himself. He--- I gasped. "What could he do to her? What will he?"

He stepped toward me, placing each of his hands on my shoulders. "We're going to find out, Cassidy. And we're going to get her back, okay?" We were so close, his blue eyes looked right into my grey ones.

"You lovebirds might want to rethink your hiding spot."

The girl's voice was high-pitched and irritable. My eyes were on her devilish smile. She wasn't kidding when she said she had purple hair. Her hair was pulled back into two small bright purple buns.

In her hand was a dangerous weapon. I saw it. The stretching of the arrow. The look of evil on her face as she took aim. Then the rocket of death soaring through the air.