4

Balara sat in the sitting room and listened to Thorin Oakenshield speak for a few seconds - but soon her mind drifted into the flame of the sparking fire. The flames kissed her face, and embers drifted in the air and burnt her skin. Balara, though, felt nothing of the heat nor burning sensation against her pale skin. Because, her mind was elsewhere. She wondered how kind Fili's mother was. If he got his looks from father or mother. What he was like as a child. If he braided his hair himself, or if his Mother did it herself so she could spend some time with him before he left. She wanted to know where he grew up. If he was a morning or a night person.

The list went on.

"You foul creature, how dare ye' show yer face near I." A loud, deep voice interrupted her thoughts. Yet, Balara did not frighten - for it was Thorin. The rightful King Under The Mountain.

Balara stood before the dwarf, her face was charred. "Your Majesty." She bowed down to him.

It's a controversial subject, but, though he is not King of her land, nor being, nor family - or even King yet for that matter, he was still meant to be. Also, she was hoping slight flattery would get her somewhere.

"At your service, King Under the Mountain." She stood once again, and her face has woven her skin back to its original.

Thorin tilted his nose in the air, "Why are you in the meeting place of my Company- you are a spy!"

Gandalf sighed, "no, Thorin, she is not. She just is. Balara is no elf, you haven't any need for angst against she - she has done no wrong to ye'."

"To me, no. But she may." Thorin glared up at the the once Elven maiden. "How long have you been here, speak you disgrace."

Balara glanced at Fili, who was leaning against the doorway. "I have been here long before your arrival, lord."

"She is a spy! She has heard all of our plans!" Thorin roared, "we must take her with us - she cannot leave sight. She may tell unwanted ears of our party's mission."

"She best not be receiving any of my share!" Dwalin grunted, "I say we just kill her!"

"Kill her, you may not. She is a friend of mine, and a carer of Bilbo's." Gandalf spoke.

"She is no carer of mine, I say! I've never met this girl!" Bilbo argued against Gandalf.

This broke Balara.

"My word, Bilbo. You remember nothing but fireworks of me, and not even the mention of Balara's name!" Said Gandalf, "she is the Galaxy Girl! Girl of The Forest! Queen Of The Children! She is the disgrace of the Forest Elves, the disgrace of Mirkwood."

Balara's breath was sharp, "indeed. I am."

"Bilbo, you used to play with Balara daily! You'd leave and arrive between times of food. Bilbo, you are the arriver that dared to leave." Said Gandalf.

"This hobbit is friends with Elf scum?!" Thorin shouted.

"Nay. This hobbit was friends with she. And elf scum, she is not."

"I have not been under the title of an Elf in many a year." Balara nodded. Her back ached as she stood hunched over in the small hole. "I will come with you all, if you will allow - even if I must be in chains, for I will not leave Master Bilbo's side to be impaled."

Thorin grunted, and yet agreed after Gandalf convinced him that having she in the Company would be a grand idea.
"I assure you, Thorin. She can run along the speed of light, should she wish. She is left untouched. Not smelt. No being would hurt Balara, even had they wished. This girl will be great protection."

"I will prove to you, but I wish to protect this Company." Balara stared down Fili again. "I choose to protect this company."

Thorin stared at the girl, his head tilted backward slightly so he could see her full form. With her small cloth covering her body, made of ferns of green. "She shall need more than that should she be accompanying us."

Balara looked down at him, and looked back at Fili. Chewing on the inside of her cheek, she could taste the iron like blood that slowly filled her mouth and coated her taste buds. "I shall?"

"Well you shan't be fighting Orc with nay but some leafs as garment." Fili spoke, his eyes boring holes into her skin. An odd sensation crawled her slender arms, her skin bursting into goosebumps.

She lowered her gaze. "Indeed."

"It is settled, then. Balara shall be the accompany of Bilbo Bagginses." Gandalf nodded.

Bilbo became flabbergasted. "No, no! I never agreed to this, I will not be attending such an occasion!"

"Well, we cannot let the being go." Dwalin said.

"We take her anyway." Thorin said, and the company nodded.

A/N: I broke my arm and it's only just healing so I hadn't updated in a long time I apologize. I'm sorry for such a short and poorly written chapter, however I'm just trying to get the story along