Chapter 1

Nearly all the girls of Wysteria were gathered in the palace for the same reason. And I was the only one there that did not share that purpose. Instead of sitting primly and tossing hopes to the royals, I was circling the gates to the grounds, my invitation clutched in my nervous hand as I tried to figure out a way to get in. Frustrated, I blew my hair out of my face and swiped away the perspiration that had accumulated from my long walk and the unsuccessful sprint to the gates as they had thundered shut.

"Come on," I said. "I'm literally just here for a flower. I don't even want your food." But I was speaking to myself, for no one paid attention to the less-than-stately girl standing outside. Well, and a rat that was busy crawling up the wall. As I watched the rodent, it scampered away and out of sight, as if even that didn't want to be around someone of my social status. Then the idea hit me.

I judged the masses of vines that curled around the stone walls on either side of the gates. Though they appeared sturdy enough, I was dubious. Giving an experimental tug on one, I carefully placed one foot on the wall and hardened my grip.

"Okay, it's not that far up. I can do this," I muttered, sweat already trickling down my neck. Keeping my eyes on the top of the wall, I pulled myself up another couple inches. Using my feet to brace myself against the wall, I was basically walking upwards.

"Please tell me this isn't what it looks like." A word shot through my head that wasn't at all princess-like. In an instant, a thousand cover stories came into mind, excuses that, in theory, could work if I wasn't actually climbing up the palace wall. Which, unfortunately, I was currently doing.

I finally turned to the voice, trying to retain my hold on the vine and mask my guilt even though I hadn't technically done anything yet.

"This is the part where you explain yourself." It was hard to formulate a response and deliver it when the young man was staring at me so accusingly. And when his hand was creeping toward the sword handle poking out of the scabbard resting at his hip. Armor covered nearly the knight's entire body, gleaming from the sun and making it difficult to see.

"Well, uh, there's nothing to explain, really."

"So I take it that attempting to enter the grounds via monkeying up the wall is nothing."

"So they say." In my defense, giving such a daunting person as much of a self-righteous look as I could muster whilst feeling the last shred of dignity fly away is quite difficult, more than one would think. Especially when you're positive that your current position (AKA dangling off the wall by a vine) is not helping the matter of being taken seriously.

He sighed, a hint of an amused smile barely softening the edge of command he carried. "You're a terrible liar." His brows knit together, putting back on the face of professionalism "Let's have your name."

With a small exhale, I dropped onto the ground and let him read on the invitation that I had been here for a reason. Though it was somewhat halfheartedly, seeing as I was certain that my name would find its way onto the list of people prohibited from entering the grounds. But Marie . . . The memory of the young student looking up to me, hope shining in the eyes dulled by unfortunate circumstances, and the sweet, earnest plea leaving her mouth was enough to rebuild my resolve. I had to get in the palace. I'd promised her, and admitting defeat before even trying was not an option. My mind made up, I stood up straighter and tried to hide the fact I was rubbing my hands that were sore from gripping the vine so tightly.