Chapter 3

When I woke up, it took me a minute to re-orient myself to the opulent surroundings. I should ask Giles if we can switch up the color scheme in here. But no sooner had I walked over to the vanity table that housed numerous containers of cream and perfume did I hear the loud shouts from outside my door. When I cautiously peered outside, Nico was darting around and shouting something. The king was sick?

Hastily rummaging through my closet, I threw on a plain dress, shoved my feet into some flats, and ran my hand through my hair as I left my room, heading for the main source of the voices. When I stopped in front of the closed door, I noticed it was gilded in gold and was far more decorative than any other I'd seen, and a heated discussion was taking place in there too.

"I'm sorry for all the panic I've caused," a deep voice said above the rest, which caused another round of chatter to stir up.

"Nonsense! It's just . . . we need to know how to go about the compromised situation. Surely if we have an empty throne for even a small period of time, Stein is sure to attack."

Stein? I knew that country bordered Wysteria, but that's pretty much all anyone really knew. Well, that and the fact that they were ruled by a fairly young king, who somehow managed to do it all on his own.

"And who knows when Stein might make their move!" Someone exclaimed. All right, to be perfectly honest, I got that this was a reasonable time to be panicked about the fate of Wysteria, but I was pretty sure that discussion of the topic didn't require everyone to be screeching in voices higher than mine the day I'd stumbled upon a snake nest in my garden.

"Their border security is nearly impossible to slip through," I heard Alyn add, albeit in a more calm tone. Maybe he was head of the knights, since he was included in this official discussion. "Trying to send in spies would be pointless."

"Pardon me, your majesty, but I wish to remind these men that we do have her Royal Highness, Adelaine, who will soon be ready to take the throne when the time comes." I appreciated that Giles remembered I existed, what with all those men shrieking about the dangers of a vacant throne when they probably understood the purpose of a princess elect. But the replies were swift in coming.

"You truly can't expect much from a commoner!"

"Are you sure she could understand such delicate political matters?"

Upset by their obvious perceptions of me, I had half a mind to storm in there and correct them about my mental capabilities. No, I told myself. You already went off at Louis last night, you can't go around the palace screaming at everyone that doesn't think you're cut out for this princess thing. Besides, you haven't even been here for two days—you think you know everything?

"Adelaine!" The call snapped me out of my thoughts, and I turned to see someone sauntering down the hallway. Though it was minor, hearing my name pronounced the way it was back home was a small comfort.

"What're you doing here, Leo?" His face broke into a beam as he stopped in front of me.

"My name! I'm glad you remembered it." But his pleased expression faltered when he saw my distress, and he paused. "Are you feeling okay?"

When I didn't respond (what could I even say?), to my surprise, he gently used a finger to smoothen out the furrow between my brows. "Now I don't know what's going on in your mind right now, but that kind of scrunched up face does you no justice."