Chapter 10

Summer was definitely ending. The cool wind was welcome, while my current engagement was less so. Louis' attentive eye made me way more nervous than necessary as I delicately set down the porcelain teacup. We'd been in the garden for about half an hour, most of that time spent just going over the layout of the table, and while this lesson's scenario had been deemed casual enough for me to wear flat shoes, the stone-like seat was not really helping matters.

Along with being a "sign of hospitality", from what I'd gathered so far, tea services were 1.) an opportunity to show off how dainty one's manners were whilst handing various dishes; and 2.) a socially-accepted time to bring out ancient tea sets that were either designed when the idea of being flattering was not created, or that hadn't been cleaned off since its last service way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. Only in aristocratic gatherings were ugly dishes the star of the show.

But moving on.

Assuming the guests were in dire need of tea and gossip, I, the host, was supposed to circle the table and try to not spill any of it on their expensive dresses, as well as carry on polite conversation that discussed the weather, or something equally innocuous. And heaven forbid I failed to make setting down that huge teapot look effortless; that would send me spiraling down into a pit of snickers and whispered insults for the rest of eternity.

"After listing the brewed types, you then ask how they would like their tea: strong or weak; with milk or lemon; and how much sugar."

"How do you like your tea, Duke Howard?"

"I would prefer one weak cup; a splash of milk and no sugar, please." His impassive, formal expression didn't change with his words, and it only made me hesitant as I followed what was hopefully the right procedure, tipping in the milk then filling the cup a little more than halfway. Louis' nod of approval almost made me want to dance.

"So, um, how exactly does this relate to the banquet tomorrow?" The question had been on my mind the whole time, but he only seemed approachable when he was sipping his drink.

He set the cup down on the saucer. "This is not for tomorrow. As the princess, you are expected to host a tea service soon, and you will most likely receive an invitation to a literary salon. You must know the expected etiquette."

I didn't know if I wanted to roll my eyes or just heave another sigh. Wow, what a time to focus on irrelevant skills.

"Well ain't this a nice little tea party." I almost dropped the teapot— I hadn't even heard anyone coming in the quiet garden. When I whirled around and saw Sid standing there, his amused smirk made me want to throw the tray of scones at him.

"Who let you in here?" He shrugged, reaching around me and popping a biscuit into his mouth.

"Why are you out here serving tea at four in the afternoon?" He countered, swallowing before continuing. "We've all got questions. Mine is, what is Mr. Duke Howard doing out in the sun? He's gonna melt if you don't get him inside."

Louis narrowed his eyes, but didn't respond while I just sighed. Honestly, if Sid had slid on in at any other time, I wouldn't have been so annoyed. But I just wanted to get this tea service lesson over with, and him and his obnoxious fur coat were interfering.

"Listen Sid, it's been fun having you crash my lesson and be a general nuisance and all, but I think you're lost, because this isn't Giles office. In fact, you're way off."