Chapter 6

"Four days?!" I shot forward in my chair, my eyes practically popping out of my head. "Giles, what— I can't be ready by then!"

He calmly sat in front of me, arms demurely folded across his chest. "On the contrary, Miss Adelaine. I fully believe that you will be adequately prepared for the event. Mr. Crawford and I have taken additional measures to ensure you will be well informed and confident before Thursday. Along with your equestrian instruction, your dance lessons with Duke Howard have been lengthened so he can cover what is to be expected." I sighed at the thought of spending even more time trying to pretend I was naturally graceful, and Giles shot me a warning look.

"Chin up, Princess. You must carry yourself with pride and assurance." Suppressing another exhale, I complied. "This will be the first time you are officially recognized as the princess in front of all of Wysteria, and the people will remember their first impression. This is your only opportunity to present yourself and show them that you deserve their faith."

His serious tone made me realize the full impact of what was to take place in a few days. The lump was back in my throat, and I nodded, wondering if the feeling in my chest was ever going to go away. He was right—everyone had dealt with my ignorant questions about the palace and had tried to make me feel as comfortable as possible. I couldn't throw away all their hard work like that.

But then his voice were more gentle when he said, "Adelaine, I wouldn't have chosen you if I believed you incapable of the responsibilities that your role entails." I nodded firmly, the resolution already in my heart. Just put one foot forward, get the ceremony over with, then go from there.

"I'll give it my all." His lips twisted into a smile at my determined words.

"I don't doubt that."

Then with a gloved hand, he waved me off and into a busy Sunday of more lessons, etiquette, speech preparations, and sore feet.

The only thing keeping me going was probably the supply of elderflower cider that Nico brought me in between lessons. If it was possible to become drunk on it, I came really close to achieving that if Alyn hadn't plucked the glass out of my fingers, examined its contents, looked over at me, and somehow returned the glass back to the kitchen without me noticing.

It was no wonder that Nico could barely convince me to get out of my bed and go down for dinner on Tuesday evening. I was so worn out from my schedule—not to mention the latest installation of an extra curriculum of Imperial Studies, which had begun on Sunday— that it was a struggle to even make it down the stairs, not to mention managing myself in the heeled sandals. Especially since it became clear that dance lessons involved perfecting every aspect of my posture. How had I gone this far in life without paying attention to the alignment of my wrist bone in relation to the floor?

On Thursday, I was going to have to pretend that I hadn't been force-fed fifteen years' worth of information in just four days, so a hectic schedule was to be expected. Though it definitely wasn't easy, I knew that I had to put in just as much effort as everyone else. I can't just breeze on in and make everyone rush around and work so hard while I sit back, drinking goblets of cider. But it was difficult to not feel like a burden when I noticed how much everyone had to rearrange their schedules to accommodate for my lessons.

"Princess?" I physically jumped, my knee almost hitting the table. Giles was looking at me expectantly as he set down his glass of water.