Chapter 11

A/N: Please re-read Chapter 10 because I added a portion at the end! The external link is the outfit mentioned (if you're on the app just send me a message so I can send you the link). Feedback? Xx

I almost dropped my cup of tea when Giles informed me of tomorrow's schedule at breakfast. "A day off? Are you serious?"

"If today's work is completed, then yes. Your effort leading up to the ceremony and the banquet, as well as your wonderful performance at both, have been duly noted, and Leo and I are quite pleased with your dedication to your studies. Even Duke Howard has remarked on your commitment to improve."

"Really?" It was hard to believe that Louis actually didn't hate me, and I couldn't contain the smile at the news of all this approval. Here I'd thought I was barely passing everyone's expectations.

Giles took a sip of his drink. "This break was heavily insisted on by Sir Alyn."

My fork clattered onto my plate. "What?"

"He came into my office a few days before your ceremony and said that you appeared overworked. Of course, we couldn't find an opportune resting time until after the banquet, since it followed the ceremony so closely."

Alyn had told him to give me a break? Just then, I remembered when I'd almost run into him on the stairs, two nights before my coronation ceremony. I'd never asked where he'd been headed, considering I was on my way to crashing in my bed, but he seemed to go towards the line of offices. Had he gone to see Giles right after that?

I didn't know what to think of that. "I'll give him my thanks."

He nodded. "You may do what you wish on your day off, but please take someone with you if you go outside the palace. Leo was planning to go into town to do some browsing at the market tomorrow, if you wish to accompany him. But for today, you need to start preparing for a literary salon on Friday, which you will do with Duke Howard next, then you're set for regional dialects with Leo after lunch. . ."

I'd gotten better at horse riding. Or at least, I'd stopped clenching the reins so tightly that my horse thought I wanted to go backwards. Like Alyn had said, she'd warmed up to me and hadn't shown any signs of wanting to throw me off her, so that was a vast improvement, I suppose. When I dismounted after that evening's lesson, Alyn had already gone into the stables with Cavalier, leaving me to lead the mare inside and properly put away her gear.

Once everything was secure and safe, I began to brush her dark coat. Well, as much as I could seeing as she was being uncharacteristically restless and wouldn't stay still.

"Try brushing over here. It calms her down." Only slightly frustrated, I glanced over to where Alyn was demonstrating on his own, obedient stallion. Trying to mimic him, I ran the brush over that spot, but she didn't stop moving.

Alyn pushed me out of the way the moment she started stomping her feet in disagreement. As he stroked her flank and whispered into her ears with surprising tenderness, I could see the mare's face relax, and I found myself exhaling in relief myself. Though I didn't know why she was so worked up. Maybe I'd accidentally hurt her during the lesson?

"Is she okay?" He rubbed her nose for a couple moments, frowning. Then he ran his hand down her leg, stopped at a certain point, then raised her hoof and inspected it. He set it back down gently and picked up the next one in the same way. Without releasing it, he reached around on the shelf until he'd grabbed the hoof pick, which he used to gently scrape at something.