Chapter 13

A/N: Outfit is in the external link!

"What's this?" I eyed the object Giles had handed me upon opening my door.

"A fan, obviously. I recommend you use it during the salon today, seeing as it is a testimony to your status." He stood by as I examined it. It was a delicate looking thing, topped with white lace, and beautiful flower designs set against the light pink silk. At the bottom hung a tassel of fine string, the magenta color following the pink scheme.

"I trust you remember the instruction over this?" I nodded, closing it and setting it on my desk.

After breakfast, the maids had whisked me upstairs and had immediately begun helping me into my dress. It wasn't overly complicated, but I was glad to have them tie the sash for me. The silver flats were definitely a better shoe decision, and the rose earrings from Alyn were deemed acceptable by them, unlike my locket. When I'd held it up, asking if they thought it would be all right to wear it, they'd pursed their lips and shaken their heads. Apparently, it was too crude looking and would not compliment the teal dress, something that the silver flower necklace they'd pointed at, did. Oh well, the salon ladies probably wouldn't understand my locket either.

"Very well. You are expected in the salon in a few minutes," he said, glancing at his pocket watch. He left, leaving me to examine my reflection once more. I'd been getting more sleep, having finished the cramming portion of my studies, so I didn't look as worn down. That day off had really helped too. I actually looked alive for once.

Seconds after I entered the salon, the main doors opened and a line of women and silk rustled in. I could feel their appraising eyes taking in my demure posture as I stood at the front of the room, my head high. Calmly greeting them, I braced myself for the next two hours and smiled at them.

I was thankful the table of pastries distracted even the most aristocratic of women. While they delicately stuffed their pale faces, I was sipping away at my tea, perched on my chair with my legs crossed. Between the greetings and the direction to "help themselves", there had been no challenges to my lessons, but the day was young. The princess of Lindera, who had apparently made the lengthy trip specially to meet me, had been glancing over at me with a strange look, so that wasn't too promising. Something about her gave off a cold feeling, as if she was only here to observe me and wasn't really looking to forge relations. Maybe it was her sharp nose, or the way her appearance was so carefully crafted to produce an image of refinement even though she was clearly half the age of most of the room. But I definitely beat her for the title of Youngest Present.

After allowing enough time for everyone to drink and eat, I casually suggested we tour the gardens and get a breath of air. They politely agreed, their parasols clasped in their gloved hands, and I led the way to the courtyard. Feeling the scattered sunshine after spending the morning inside, along with the satisfaction that I didn't have to wear heels, brought a smile to my face. Though I technically was now responsible for initiating inclusive conversation, I knew literary salons were generally a bit lax in the rules and more of a "go with the flow" thing. So I didn't mind when they found companions to talk to and grouped off, since that left me with less opportunities to publicly embarrass myself.

"The roses are quite lovely," said a nearby voice, and I turned to it. The Duchess of Dianthus's warm smile radiated enough amity that I immediately returned it

"Yes, they're so beautiful," I agreed. "I can't wait to see it in the spring when everything is in bloom." She stepped over to my side and studied the arbor with focused blue eyes. She was a slender, pretty thing, standing about my height with black hair as shiny as a raven's wing. I could see a small trail of freckles stretching across her cheeks and her nose, and maybe it was her obvious youth, but there was a feeling that she was more of a free personality than the women in attendance. At the very least, I knew if anything resembling an honest opinion was said, it was most likely to have come from her.