Chapter 15: What was that?

Clarke's POV

A loud sound of squealing door fills the room and everyone stops talking. The teacher, head bowed to the floor, rushes in and reaches her desk. "I'm sorry I have to start this class with a little distraction," Mrs Simons says with fake smile on her small face. "We have a new student."
Her eyes find Lexa who is sitting behind me, at the very end of the room. People have noticed her before and because there's always someone who comes to me immediately after they step into the classroom, it would be hard to hide a new classmate. Especially as hot as this one is.

Lexa doesn't seem so nervous as she was in the morning. I ensured her everything is gonna be fine and the people will love her. We had a little talk in the car after and she appeared calmer.

"Alright, I don't want to put you in some sort of hard position so I have a better idea," Mrs Simons says loudly, putting her glasses off. "So class, form a little circle."
A few "what"s flash through the room. To be honest, I really didn't expect her making a freaking circle either. Are we in a kindergarten?
"Don't look at me like I'm foolish," her voice echoes again. "Do as you were told."

People don't really hate Mrs Simons. She just has a little more respect than other teachers and she doesn't allow any brats to let her down. That's why I personally like her but some other people don't. She looks a little bit like a hobbit. It's surprising that no one would dare to say a bad word to her tiny body, often dressed up in ridiculous outfits and her black arched glasses sitting on the top if her crooked nose.

All twenty people start moving, still murmuring quiet words of shock, some of them even laughing. I look around my shoulder to see Lexa uncomfortably shifting from side to side, her eyes asking for help. I know she gets kinda anxious when in a new group of people, I have already seen that before. But who doesn't?

"Sit next to me," I say and get up, grabbing my chair like the others. The circle is already half full and there are only few gaps to sit. I take the large one so Lexa can take her chair next to mine, but then I hear someone letting theirs down on her place. When I look up, I'm not even surprised.
"Tyler," I act shocked, looking up at his grinning face. Before I can say anything more, he opens his mouth.
"Hi Clarke! We haven't spoken in a while," he whispers, looking around at everyone talking quietly. "So how's your life going? Any boys?"
I bite my lower lip to hold my laugh. "No, Tyler. No boys."

I search for Lexa's tiny figure in the crowd of people. She's not in the circle yet.
"Oh that's great!" He's still trying to keep it down but can't hide his joy. "So will you finally let me ask you on a date?"
I look around again to check if she's not still on her place but she's gone. When I turn back, I can finally breathe out. I didn't realize I was holding my breath, but there she is. Green eyes following me, her arms and legs crossed.
"Clarke?" Tyler's voice drives me out of the stare, his head now so close to my ear I have an urge to bite him in his face. I hate people so close.
"What?" I ask, not turning my head to face him.
"I asked if you'd want to hang out with me."
I hold my laugh back again. "Okay, I may have said no boys," I say, my cheeks turning red. "But that doesn't mean I'm available."

Tyler's ears go red, his face expression immediately changing. He's silent, following my stare. And then he spots Lexa. "Oh."
The circle is full and organized now. Mrs Simons is sitting by my right side, about four people away.
"Now, everyone is gonna shortly introduce themselves so Lexa can know a little information about each of us," she says. "Lexa, you will be the last one. All clear?"
Most of the people nod, all attention on Lexa now. The teacher reveals her basic information, starting with name and mentioning few of her hobbies. She passes her word to a person on her left; Brian.