Chapter 20: Night Trouble

Clarke's POV

-next day in school-

"Hey! Clarke!" An annoying voice echoes through my head as I take my books and leave my uncomfortable seat.
I roll my eyes. "Hi, Tyler."
Tyler awkwardly grins, holding on to his textbooks so tightly his knuckles are white. "So," he breathes in. "I was thinking. Are you going to the party tonight?"

I raise my eyebrows, realizing that the party is in just few hours. I completely forgot.
"Um," I rub the back of my neck with my spare hand. "Yeah, I guess I am. Why? Are you?"
"Yeah, of course!" He bites his lower lip. "I was wondering.. Could you, maybe.. Go with me?"

No one can say that I wasn't expecting this. I look at his sweaty forehead as he keeps shifting from side to side.
"I thought it's a house party?" I shrug. "You don't have to go in pairs as far as I know."
"Yeah, I guess but you know, I thought it would be nice if we.. Went together? Does that make sense?"

I close my eyes and shake my head, thinking.
"Please?" Tyler's voice sounds desperate now.
Just a week ago I wouldn't go with him. Just a week ago I was a whole different person. I would say fuck off at his first word. But with circumstances that happened to be and due to yesterday's events, I just have to do something. Lexa wouldn't go anyway and I'm too embarrassed to ask or do anything.

After a moment of thick atmosphere, my short moment of thoughts shuts.
"Okay," I answer. "But just as friends. Don't expect anything."
"Yeah yeah, don't worry," he smiles widely. "Just friends. Like always."

I smile at him and turning on my heel I disappear from his sight.

. . .

It's the last period, the only class today which I have with Lexa. We haven't really talked today. At least I hope she won't go to the party because she would see me with Tyler and it would be all just awkward, even though I just wanna be a nice person for once. It's really obvious that he has a crush on me and sometimes, you just gotta make people happy about something. What the hell has happened to me?

As the teacher announces the end of the class, I quickly get up and strike ahead to be the first out of the door. My pace is close to running when someone steps me in the way.

"Ouch," I hear an unsure, familiar voice as I stump her on her foot accidentally.

Alright, here comes the awkwardness. "Lexa.." my eyes are glued to the floor. "Sorry, I was just rushing."

"Oh, it's okay. However," she says. I look up to see her and for a glimpse, I swear I saw glassy eyes. "I wanted to ask you if you're still going to the party tonight."

A small wave of panic flashes through my spine. First thing. Why do seem her eyes watery? Secondly, what? No, no, no.

"Y-yes," I stutter. "Why wouldn't I?"

She ignores my question. "Well, when do you wanna leave? I talked to Nina this morning and most of the people are coming at 8PM."

Shit shit shit shit. A rivulet of sweat is going down my forehead. "Um, I don't know. Can we discuss it at home?"

The class is completely empty now, the only sounds being our resonating voices. "Um, there's this thing. I'm meeting Anya in about 20 minutes and I have to know the time we will leave in advance."

I breathe in deeply within my nose, clutching my teeth together. "O-kayyy. Well, I think we'd have to leave at 7:00, Nina's house is far away."

"An hour? And could-"