Chapter 9: The Rescue

The morning after Alex disappeared, back at the Auror Camp

Matt awoke with a start.

"Matty! Matty! Please help me!" Salome was shaking him and sobbing. "Where's my mum? I can't find my mum!"

He sat straight up, wide awake.

"Matty, I can't find her," Salome looked up at him with wide eyes. "Do you know where she is?"

His heart was now thundering in his chest. It was going to be okay. Nothing had happened, she probably just went for a walk or ... went to go get food from the forest ... his mind was running out of ideas. What if something bad had happened to her? After he had finally told her how he felt ... this wasn't supposed to happen. He had promised himself that he would do everything in his power to keep her safe ... and now this. He ran a hand through his hair.

"Where have you looked, Poppet?"

Tears glistened in her eyes. "I've looked all around camp. I asked everyone if they had seen her and they said no. Matty, I don't know what to do."

"Hey, hey it's okay, come here," Matt pulled her small form to his chest. "We'll find her, I promise."

"It's my fault," Salome sniffled, her voice muffled against his shirt.

"What do you mean?" Matt asked gently, rubbing circles on her back. "How can it be your fault?"

She sniffed and looked up at him, tears spilling over the lids of her eyes. Her face was contorted in pain, and she was shaking.

"Are you alright?" he asked gently, concern in his eyes.

"Fine," she said quickly, although she was still wincing. "I just- I need to tell you what happened."

"Okay," he said, keeping his arm around her. "Tell me, Poppet. I'm listening."

"I-I couldn't sleep last night because there was this loud noise outside. I went to my mum and woke her up and she went out to go see what it was," Salome was sobbing now. "And I fell asleep while she was gone! I should have waited for her, Matty! Then maybe-"

She broke off into tears, and Matt held her tighter, gently smoothing her hair and rubbing his hand up and down her back. He was shocked by how natural it seemed, conforming her even while he was anything but calm himself. He had come to care so much for Salome, and he realized that if...when, not if he and Alex got through this, he wanted the three of them to be a family. More than he had ever wanted anything in his life, he wanted this.

"It's alright, Poppet. It's not your fault. Don't blame yourself for this, okay?"

He felt her nod against his chest. "Okay, Matty. But how do we find her?"

Matt sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "Let's talk to Hermione and Harry. They'll know what to do, yeah?"

"I already talked to them. They said they hadn't seen her."

"They might be able to help us come up with a plan to find her though, yeah?"

"Matty, what do you think happened to her?" Salome asked softly. "Do you think Voldemort took her? What if she's hurt? What if she's dying?"

"Oh, sweetheart," Matt pulled her into a tight hug. "I'm sure your mum's just fine. We'll find her in no time, okay? Now let's go talk to Hermione and Harry."

"Matty, one more thing," her voice was even quieter now. "What if my mum dies?"

"Salome-"

"No, please, Matty, just listen to me," she looked up at him and he saw the wisdom in her bright green eyes. She was mature beyond her years. "If she does die, what am I supposed to do? I have no one, no family. My dad obviously isn't an option, and I have no one else to go to. My aunts and my grandparents on my mom's side don't talk to us because mummy used to be a Death Eater, so I can't go to them either."