Chapter 11: The Battle

The next morning, Harry grimly announced to the camp that he had received an owl from Hogwarts that morning informing them that Death Eaters had attacked the school. The head Aurors immediately sent over a group, and everyone packed up and got ready to move to the new location. Alex held onto Matt's and Salome's hands as they disapparated, and she was reminded of the first time they had done that, back when they begun their journey to find Harry. How simple everything was then. There had been so much hope for things getting better. Now, it was inevitable that people were going to die because she was still alive. Guilt burned in her chest as they spun into nothingness once again.

No sooner had they began to set up their things at the new camp then another owl came from Hogwarts saying that the Death Eaters were completely overpowering their forces and they needed more help quickly.

"This is it," Harry said. "We all go."

A ripple of tension ran through the Aurors gathered around the heads of the camp. Everyone stood straighter and pulled out their wands.

Matt watched as Alex set her jaw and she pulled her wand out of her pocket in sync with the others.

"Can I come, Mummy?" Salome whispered.

"Not a chance," Alex said. "You and Matt will stay here where it's safe."

Harry started to lead the large group outside.

"Alex," Matt said softly, his eyes meeting hers with a pleading gaze. "Please don't go with them."

"I have to," she said firmly, refusing to let herself get emotional. "It is my duty, Matt. My way to make up for what I have done wrong. You promised you would let me go and that is what has to happen."

"Then let me go with you. Please. I-"

"No," she cut him off. "I won't let you. You can't help me and you will only end up getting hurt."

Tears were filling her eyes. She couldn't help it.

"Remember what you promised me," she continued, her voice thickening with tears. "That you wouldn't put yourself in danger. You promised."

The tears were falling freely now.

"I warned you. Oh, Matt, I warned you that you never should have gotten involved with me. Not with what was going to happen. Not with what's happening now. I'm so sorry that I let this happen. It wasn't fair to you..."

He silenced her with a kiss, his arms wrapping around her and holding her close to him.

"Stop," he whispered. "Stop talking like that, my love. I wouldn't change any of it. You have nothing to be sorry for. Absolutely nothing."

"I love you," she said quietly.

"I love you too," he kissed her again.

She then turned to her daughter, hugging her tightly and whispering her love and her goodbyes.

"Alex," Hermione said gently.

She turned around.

"It's time to go."

Alex nodded, turning back to Matt and Salome, trying to memorize their faces.

"I love you both," she said. "So much."

She couldn't take it anymore; couldn't look at them. Matt, her love, who she had drawn into this mess. He had said that he wouldn't change it, but she still felt incredibly guilty about allowing him to fall for her when she knew that it couldn't end well. And Salome, her little miracle. The only thing she was thankful for from her whole relationship with Tom. Who she loved more than anything in the world.