Chapter 2

It was a gradual thing.

It started with the twitching of my lips into a smile. My head lowered slightly, bangs shielding my eyes from the men's view. An inaudible rumble began to hum inside my chest. It slowly turned to small noises faintly heard by them, yet were ignored. Then soft giggling, followed eventually by actual laughter. By then I was grinning, almost like some psychopath. I've never had much control over my expression.

It was quiet in general. I've never really full-out laughed, mostly because there wasn't much in the ways of anything funny enough to cause such a thing. Laughing made me feel happy, almost bubbly. But at the same time, it hurt. Not a lot, and not really a physical pain, but more as if I was subconsciously discouraging it.

They stared. Even my handler. The older man seemed quite curious, wearing a smile on his own face. The thing had the same creepy expression, though it seemed more surprised now. My handler was watching me carefully, as this was not a regular behavior pattern for me. Eyebrows... looked entirely confused and almost afraid. I didn't like that expression at all...

I do not want them to be afraid of me.

I shut up immediately, leaping up to the network of bars. I maneuvered my way up to the alcove in the ceiling, in the middle of the metal maze. There was my bed, a hammock with a small pillow and blanket. Doesn't matter what color they are. It's too dark up here for human's to see without a light. I lay down, ignoring my handler trying to coax me down again.

He'll give up eventually.

>>>>>>>

Father has come for his daily visit. He doesn't ever really speak to me, only coming in and laying on the couch to read. I don't mind. When I was small, he used to let me lay on top of him and nap. I stopped some time into my 13th year, for a reason I do not really know. Sometimes I'll sit somewhere on the ground, or it one of the chairs, and just watch him.

I haven't felt very well since the strange visit this morning.

I dropped down to the ground with a soft whoomp sound. He ignored it, only turning the page in his book. I start to head towards my usual chair, but something makes me stop before I can sit down. I felt.... lonely, empty inside. I grabbed the decorative pillow from the chair, then placed on the ground beside the couch. I sat down on it, resting my crossed arms and head on the edge beside him, face turned towards his own.

At first, I'm entirely ignored. Father continues to read his book, while I begin to drift off. I always feel relaxed around him, for reasons I do not understand and cannot explain. Eventually, just as my eyes are about to close completely, I feel his hand on my head. He began petting me like a dog, hand moving from the top of my head to the back, and repeating. It brought a small curve to my lips, the muscles in my back and shoulders relaxing fully.

We stayed together for some time, before he left. There was no words between us. He simply patted the top of my head as if rewarding me, before walking out the door. I stay where I am, until a great need to be up high had me scurrying to the labyrinth of bars. Within minutes, I was laying in my hammock, which swayed gently from the force of me getting into it. The motion soon had me dead asleep.