Chapter 3

"Bat! Come down here please."

My eyes flicker open, staring vacantly up at the ceiling before I crawl out of my hammock. I do not enjoy being waken from slumber, especially when I'm hungry. A glance down at the ground dashes my hopes of food. It's one of my other handlers, and Eyebrows. I had quite forgotten that they wanted him to have little bonding sessions with me. Apparently I would be functioning as his partner while on their team, since the creepy thing was already partnered with the older guy. I wonder what happened to his last partner...

I sigh, slowly making my way down to the lowest bar. My muscles are stretched out on the way, so I'm mostly awake when I reach my destination. My handler regarded me with a distasteful expression before leaving with a swish of her long brown hair. That one doesn't like me very much.

Eyebrows seems a bit nervous at having been left alone with such a dangerous creature such as myself. His hand twitches in a motion that could only be a habitual reaching for his quinque, but it's outside the room, likely being held by the security guarding the room. Outside is their problem, inside is mine.

"You're frightened of me."

My voice is exactly as it should be. The voice of a gangly young man, still fresh out of puberty with a masculine voice. It holds wisdom, yet also a childlike curiosity. He starts, taking a step back before giving me a determined expression and walking over to the little sitting area.

"I am not. I'm only.. disturbed."

"Because you've been told that all ghouls eat humans? Because I break that fundamental rule? I care not for those humans call 'my kind'. Would you call a sandwich your kin?"

"I.. suppose not."

He falls silent, sitting in the same armchair he did last time. It gives him a good view of me. Or maybe the room...? Who knows. My thoughts wander elsewhere, and it's not long before I find myself hanging upside down from the pole, arms crossed in thinking. It's common for me to end up like this. Part of the multitude of reasons they call me 'Bat'.

"What are you doing?"

My eyes open, crimson irises flickering to meet his wary and curious face.

"Thinking."

"About what?"

"The behavior of ghouls, the tendencies of the human population, when my next meal is, what  should I do to occupy my time, why they've brought you here, why the brown haired woman doesn't like me, how does human food taste, the usual. Why do you ask?"

"I was curious."

"Humans usually are, though that isn't to say I'm not myself. Curiosity killed the cat, but the cat has 9 lives and 9 kittens. 18 divided by 6 is 3, 3 sides to a triangle, 2 triangles make a square. Do you see what I'm getting at?"

"Umm... No."

"Good, because it's nonsense."

"Oh..."

He falls back into silence, eventually look around the room. Minutes pass, 10, maybe 15 before I sense it. The familiar feeling of a strong prey nearby. Yet it's outside, rather than in.

"Strange..."

His eyes flicker back to me as the word leaves my lips. I fall to the ground, the crunch of my arm breaking ignored as I stand up. It heals with a snap as I walk over to the huge window that covers an entire side of the room. It looks down on the city, lit up in its nightly glory.