Maya Meets The Secret

~4~

That Monday, Maya had english second period, which, coincidently was a class she had with just Isadora. The two were working on a project together, or at least isadora was working on the project and Maya was doing anything else.

"Maya, which characters do you think are representations of the mockingbird?" Isadora asked her for the second time.

"I don't know, do I." Maya moaned.

"Maya, we agreed to work on this presentation together, so we shall do so,"

"How about we talk about you and Farkle, huh?" Maya said slyly.

"I predicted you would bring this topic up for discussion." Replied Isadora, sounding slightly disappointed out how predictable Maya was, "Very well, then, ask away."

"Why'd you break up with him?"

"I'm not at any liberty to reveal that secret."

Maya raised her eyebrows, "Wha?"

Isadora sighed, "Why is it obligatory that we must go through this process every time?"

"Wha?" Maya repeated.

Isadora sighed again, before saying, "I like, am totally not allowed to like, tell you that secret."

"See! Now I get it!" Maya grinned, nodding, but then she frowned, "But what's so big about this secret? Farkle can't tell me, you can't tell me, that guy can't tell me," Maya motioned to the boy sitting in front of them, who turned to give them a weird look.

"Maya, you are one of the people who knows Farkle the best, why don't you just as him."

"I have!"

Isadora shrugged, "Ask again."

So that's what Maya did.

"Farkle!" She called from the top of the stairs when she spotted him at the lockers. She rushed down the stairs, not worrying about the people she was bumping into.

"Hey," Farkle said, just before Maya shoved him into the lockers, a little harder than she'd meant.

"Maya, Maya," Farkle said, putting his hands up in defence, "it's a little soon don't you think, I just broke up with Isadora."

Maya rolled her eyes and shoved him again.

"Ma-ya!" Farkle said, reminding her so much of how he used to be in seventh grade.

"Farkle." Maya said, her tone more serious.

"Okay, Maya, what is it?"

"What's the big secret between you and Isadora?" Maya asked, leaning against the lockers.

Farkle sighed and shut his locker, "Maya, there's a reason it's a secret."

"Why's it a secret?"

"Because I can't tell you."

"What about Riley?"

Farkle opened his mouth, but then shut it again, thinking hard about what he should say next.

"Farkle?"

"Maya, is there a point to this?" Farkle asked her.

"Yes, the point is you and Riley have always talked, and now there's a secret and you're not telling her."

"I can't tell her, Maya." Farkle said quietly, before turning and walking away.

Maya frowned. She wasn't stupid, she knew Riley and Farkle had a different relationship than her and Farkle. Even when Maya and Farkle hadn't talked, or even worse, when Maya and Riley hadn't talked, Riley and Farkle had always talked.

And now they weren't.

Which meant that Riley had to be the reason Farkle and Isadora broke up.

Which meant Maya had been right.

Farkle did like Riley.