Farkle Meets New Year: Part One

~6~

~Roughly one and a half months after the last part~

"Farkle!"

Farkle turned from his locker to see Isadora. He was alone, and he couldn't helped but be surprised; it had been a long time since they'd talked alone together.

"Yes, Isadora?"

"I received your text message last night about the New Years party, am I to assume that the awkwardness over our past relationship has abated and we are now to resume our status as friends?" She asked, without so much of a hello.

"Isadora, you are my friend. You were my friend before you were my girlfriend-"

"I was your arch-nemesis." Isadora corrected.

"Yes," agreed Farkle, "but you were my friend too, despite them being contradictory relationships, you were my friend. And you're my friend now. You have been since we broke up; just because we broke up doesn't mean I stopped caring for you."

Isadora nodded, "Nor I you, Farkle."

"So that means you'll come?"

"Yes." Isadora confirmed, and then without missing a beat, she asked, "Have you spoken to Riley?"

"Since we broke up? Technically, yes."

Isadora gave Farkle a disapproving look, "Have you spoken to Riley about your feelings?"

"In that case, uhh, no."

"Why not?" She asked, in a no-nonsense voice

"We should really be meeting the others in the cafeteria," Farkle said, avoiding eye-contact with Isadora.

She shot him another disapproving look.

"What?"

"You have to talk to her, you believe in the truth Farkle, so tell her the truth!" Isadora said simply.

"I believe in Riley and I believe in our friendship, and I'm not going to do anything to sacrifice that, Isadora." Farkle said firmly.

"It's almost New Year, Farkle, tell her the truth."

"I'm not lying. It was different last year. Riley lied for Maya. And Lucas liked Riley back; he deserved to know the truth and she deserved to be heard. Riley doesn't like me back."

"Love." Isadora corrected.

"What?"

"Riley doesn't love you back. And anyway, you don't know that, you haven't asked."

Farkle shook his head, "I can't. I would rather die then not be friends with Riley, I need her. And this... this has the ability to change our friendship, to break it, and I can't let that happen."

"Okay," Isadora nodded, "it's your choice, your feelings. But don't be afraid of them."

Farkle didn't reply, and Isadora turned and began to walk towards the cafeteria, "Are you coming, Farkle?"

Farkle quickly shut his locker and hurried after her.

The others where already at their usual table in the cafeteria when Farkle and Isadora arrived. Farkle sat down in his usual seat, next to Riley, who smiled at him, and Isadora opposite him.

"What took you two so long, huh? Huh?" Zay said, grinning.

"We were discussing Farkle New Year's Eve party," Isadora replied promptly.