Mind Control 5

MIND CONTROL 5

A short story by Alvin Atwater

Continued directly after story four...

You have got to be kidding me... I looked at the green gem in my hand and then at Brandon and Chelsea. They were probably as dumbfounded as me. To think that I accidentally used it on Gemini –she now thought she was a super hero!

"Let's just set aside our differences for now," I said. "She could really hurt herself."

"Fine, whatever, let's get moving –she went that way," Chelsea said slipping the yellow gem, Kindness, into her pocket. I made a mental note that this ordeal probably wasn't over. The second we cure Gemini, she'd probably launch a "sneak" attack. I'd be ready for real this time. We took off, Chelsea leading. Gemini couldn't be too far ahead –that'd be physically impossible yet she was gone. Seeing that running any further was pointless, I stopped. Brandon and Chelsea did too.

"How is this possible?" Brandon said, throwing his hands up in frustration.

"Should you really be surprised by now?" I said.

"Mind control gems never gave superpowers," he replied.

"You got a point there," I said with a sigh.

"So what should we do?" Chelsea said. "Stand here and look stupid?"

I gave her a blank glare. "It's time for a guessing game. Where would she go?"

"Hold on a sec, I'll call Rachael," Chelsea said, pulling out her phone and dialing a number. Seconds later she picked up and they blabbed away. She talked for at least five full minutes, driving my patience until suddenly a shocked expression smothered her face. "Rachael just spotted Gemini mouthing off the Romero brothers. She's going to stop her now."

I face-palmed. The Romero brothers were two nerds who never bothered anyone –hell they hardly left the vicinity of the science club.

"Why is she...?" I started to ask.

"Loitering," Chelsea answered in a monotone. For the love of...

"Come on," I said.

The sun began to set as we entered the school gates. Chelsea's phone rang.

"Hello?" she answered. "She what!? Where is she?" She nodded as she hung up.

"What's happened now?" Brandon asked, beating me to the question.

"She's trying to rescue a cat from a tree. Come on, hurry –let's get to the back gates."

We sprinted there as fast as we could, shortly stopping at the sight of Gemini handing over a cat to a happy child.

"Gemini, what are you doing?" I said as I hurried over to her. She had a goofy expression on her face as she waved off the child. I halted when she looked at me. Her normally blue eyes were green but that wasn't the only thing wrong with this picture. Now that I was close, I noticed a weird green light outlining her like radiation. The others stopped too, probably taking notice of the change.

"That's my name," Gemini said. "Protector of the weak, defender of this beautiful city. You don't have to worry about evil."

I gave her a blank stare. "Yeah, no," I said, aiming the gem and giving it a tap. It shimmered. Nothing happened –I knew because that radiation, whatever it was, didn't leave Gemini.