Mind Control 6

A short story by Alvin Atwater

Continued directly after story five...

Demand, Love, Kindness, and Hate. These are the four "legal" crests of the ancient Iyan tribe's mind control gemstones. On the contrary, Hero, Evil, Seduction, and Colorless are the illegal incarnations created by a faction within the tribe with a purpose to bring down their crappy leadership. The Iyans had dictators that used mind control on their people to force mating, create slaves, soldiers and assassins, and just whatever stuck to their imaginations.

I just didn't understand why Gemini was so fascinated with them. And that brings us to this moment. Gemini, Chelsea, Brandon, and I were searching for the blue gem, Demand, at six in the morning. We had only an hour before school. At the end of the day, we'd have to explain to Kate why we didn't have all the assignment materials. Sucks to suck, right?

So why were we looking for it just a few meters from my house? That's a long story, so I'll give you the short version. I accidentally used Hero, the green illegal, on Gemini turning her into a superhero... in her head of course. She ran off from this spot and supposedly dropped Demand.

"Has anyone contacted Rachael?" I asked.

"She didn't answer her phone," Chelsea responded. "Nor is she responding to any texts."

I sighed. Last night after I 'cured' Gemini of her superhero trance, Rachael stormed off, upset. I don't mean to sound like a jerk here –hear me out –but she liked me for a while. Sadly, I had no feelings for her –hell, I really didn't know Rachael. After the events of story two, I guess we all assumed she got over me. Brandon liked her. He's putting in an effort to get closer, even got her phone number. But last night, he pretty much found out that he was as close as America to Europe with her. He even mouthed off me before storming away himself. Still, we've been friends for years, so called him and we had a long discussion. That explains why he was even here at this moment, searching for Demand with us. Whether the others had a girl talk with Rachael or not is of no concern to me. Rachael and I are fellow members of the mystery but not really friends.

"Forget it," I said. "We've got bigger problems on our hands."

"True," Gemini said. "Sorry guys."

"It's not your fault," Chelsea said, glaring at me.

"It's not mine either," I said. "Self-defense is a thing."

Before Chelsea could argue further, Brandon cut her off harshly.

"Let's not forget who was taking a prank too far –using Demand on him rather than focusing on improving the project. Making him slap and beat himself up, like damned savages. You've got no right to blame ANYONE."

Silence followed after his well-spoken point. The hopeless search ended like it began: nothing accomplished. We went to school with our heads down.

In English class, Rachael was silent. She didn't exert her usual perkiness or vulnerability nor did she raise her hand for questions. Just seemingly bitterness. Once again, I didn't see how this was my problem. We had this conversation before...though she once stated...oh crap...that she wasn't giving up. But...Brandon raised the bar: got closer to her, got her phone number, and so on. Surely we were convinced that Rachael moved on. I shrugged as the bell rang.

As I headed toward a nearby vending machine, I caught a glimpse of someone wearing a cat mask sneaking into the empty archaeology clubroom. Someone...with a mask.