o n e

Wolf Hill

E M I L I O

A tired sigh escaped my tiny body as I made my way back down to my room in the basement. My body ached after working so hard. Who could have thought that being a butler would be such hard work, then again, it was my sorry, abusive family I was working for. They made me do things that were absolutely ridiculous, but I had to do whatever they wanted of I wanted to avoid a lashing from my father. Once again, like every other night, I found myself hating my life and hating the fact that I was not worthy enough to be considered a son to my family. I hated myself to. I hated myself for being so weak while my sister and brothers were strong. I hated being short and feminine while they were everything they were expected to be. I hated the fact that I was forced to work myself to the bone while they enjoy their youth. I hated being nothing while they were everything. I was eighteen years old and was cursed to spend the rest of my days here while they go out and start families and become apart of society. It was sad that any visitor my parents had didn't even know that I was my parent's son. My grandparents didn't know who I was, nor did the rest of my family. I was just the butler, nothing more, nothing les.

The basement was cold and dreary as usual, but I loved it. Though it was covered in dirt and grime and was filled to the brim with rodents, spiders, webs and insects, this death smelling basement was the only place where I could be away from my family and not have to worry about getting beaten or being embarrassed in front of guests. It was my safe haven. After feeling up the wall, I finally found what I was looking for and flipped the switch. A soft light filled the room, illuminating my dusty dresser that held all of my belongings and three matrasses that was my bed.

The first thing I did was remove my uncomfortable dress shoes and socks which was quickly followed by the rest of the suit. I grabbed some clothes hangers and hung each article of clothing up separately on my makeshift clothes line so the mice would not get them. After polishing my shoes, I set them back inside a metal box, for the same reason. I rummaged through my dresser, pulling out a clean pair of briefs and a large towel with a mismatched face towel. Walking into the attached bathroom, I spent twenty minutes flat accomplishing all of my hygienic procedures before allowing myself to lay down and rest.

□¤□

The next day, I am on my feet at five a.m. cooking breakfast for my family. My school bag rests on my back as I glide through the kitchen mixing ingredients together and creating a five star breakfast. Even though I am not allowed to leave this place, my parents still want me to have a proper education so I won't embarrass them in front of their guests. Appearances, that's the only thing the tenants of this household care about. After an hour of cooking, I had finally finished and had sat the plates in their designated places with a silver covering over the plate to keep away any insects. Having packed my breakfast in a plastic container, I left to catch the bus for school.

The school I attended was a school where rich students came to receive the best education. Of course there were regular students that attended here, but they were ignored by the higher ups, just like I was. I didn't mind though, at least I wasn't bullied. Though my siblings hated me, they didn't have it out for me, they just ignored me. At the last thought, my body slumped dejectedly and a sad sigh escaped me. Closing my eyes, I forced my thoughts away from the subject and wiped the tears that were pooling in my grey irises. It was extremely important to not let any students see you in a state of weakness, rich or not. That could lead to your downfall; I made sure to keep my face neutral and any emotions that I felt locked away. That was the only way I could continue being ignored and attention away from myself.

As soon as I made it to the bus stop, the bus rounded the corner and I got on once it had stopped.

"Morning, sir," I greeted the bus driver. The elderly man turned and smiled kindly at me.

"How are you today Emilio, off to school?"

"Yes sir, I am," I respectfully replied. Nodding, Mr. Fairly wished me good luck and passed me a box of chocolates that he always bought for me despite my wishes. With a sigh, I accepted the candy and put it away in my bag.

I choose an empty seat by the door and relaxed as soon as I sat down. Like always, the ride to my school was quick and I found myself wishing Mr. Fairly a good day sooner than I would have liked. Since the bus was not able to drop me off right at the school, I had to walk the rest of the way and was standing in front of my locker in less than ten minutes. Slipping on my vacant façade, I grabbed what I needed from my locker and made my way to my very first class, P.E.

□¤□g

I stood by the refreshments in the ballroom, ready to serve any guest that needed my assistance. I refused to show this, but I was extremely tired and wanted nothing more but to leave this ball room and go to sleep. My feet ached terribly and this suit was starting to feel uncomfortable in various places. My back ached and my head pounded from the loud music and the laughter and chatter from the guests.

"Why the hell do you look so dead?" an angry voice snapped, causing me to drop my platter in fright. I quickly picked up the platter, my eyes moving to meet those of my father. I could feel my blood run cold through my veins and my face paling from fear. My father towered over my five foot two frame, glaring down menacingly at me. Tremors assaulted my body and small beads of sweat started to appear on my forehead. From the corner of my eye, I could see a few people gazing at my father and I in curiosity.

"You look a little sick," my father said in a sweet voice and loud enough for the guests' ears.

"Come with me." Placing a gentle hand on the small of my back, he smiled kindly at the partiers and left the ballroom. As soon as we were a ways away from any visitors, his grip became painful. A whimper escaped me as his large fingers dug into a tender wound on my back from a previous lashing. Turning me around to face him, he planted a hard slap on my face. My weak body flew from the force and my hand involuntarily reached up and cradled my bruising face.

"Do you know how embarrassing that was for me Emilio?" he asked, spitting out my name like it tasted horrible in his mouth. His voice was calm as his stormy met eyes met my identical ones.

"You'll never be my son," he sneered. I could feel my eyes burn and my heart throb from those five painful words. He stared at me a few more moments before storming out. I waited until he was gone before letting myself sink into the depths of my broken heart. I crouched into a ball and cried silently, asking myself what I could have done to deserve a life as horrible as this one. Shaking my head, I wiped away my tears and scolded myself for being so ungrateful. There was someone who was worst off than me, I had no right to complain.

Picking myself up, I went to my room where I ate my chocolate candy and prepared for bed.

End of chapter 1

Written : 3/19/16

Jamie