THE VILLIAN

February 1st

One word. Victor. It was forceful, powerful. His father gave him that name, in hopes that no matter what, his son would always be the victor.

Well, that was not the case with Victor. It seemed that no matter how hard Victor tried, he was a disappointment to his father, whose very name was Evil.

This time, though, this time! Victor was sure this would work. He could see it. The evil scheme going according to plan, Hero Man unable to stop him, rising in the criminal underworld, and making a name for himself as Overlord.

Yes! Today would be the day.

He just needed the wifi that hundreds of other people use... a coffeehouse. Yes, it would be perfect. Granted the wifi would be slow, but it was essential that no one could interfere.

So, he ordered a pastry and set about to work. Soon, his plan would near completion.

"Can I sit here?" A small voice interrupted his thinking.

"Go ahead," Victor said. He just wanted her quiet. He needed to work.

Then, it was if she had said what was on his mind.

Yes! The way the current leaders pretended to know and have control was sickening. One person with a large enough following could easily overthrow the-

Oh. She was not talking about that. It was the coffeehouse.

"It's because of Hero Man," Victor muttered bitterly.

Curse Hero Man for always being there to foil him!

But this girl had not heard of Hero Man... how interesting.

Then, she said something hopeful. "Limitless possibilities."

What? Yes! The Law of Infinite Probability makes it possible that just one day, Victor would succeed. Who's to say that today was not that day?

"I'm Victor, by the way."

"I'm Elly," she said as she shook his hand.

"'Limitless' possibilities?" He was going to say 'thank you, for telling me what I needed to hear' or 'thank you, for giving me hope,' but that's what came out instead.

She got a twinkle in her eyes as she explained her hope. It was almost mesmerizing to watch.

"I could have sat with that creepy guy over there instead of having this nice conversation with you," she said.

What?

"Who?" Victor asked.

"Him," Elly said, but tried to be discrete in pointing him out.

Victor turned around to see the man in question. Oh no. Hero Man. Looks like today will not be the day to succeed. Victor turned back around and started to pack up. "I have to go," he said without explanation. Sorry.