4

I slept for the second time in a row since I came here. I convinced myself it was just the full stomach and comfy bed that helped me sleep. I stopped having the constant nightmares of death. Last night I had dreamed about the fresh air and the cold lake water that I would be feeling this afternoon.

I spent all morning inside. I didn't want breakfast. I was too afraid I would throw it up from how many flips my stomach was doing. My excitement only grew stronger by the minute. I tried sleeping until lunch time came but that was as successful as trying to sleep back in my apartment in the city.

Athena came to the door once, asking where I was at breakfast. I told her I was too tired to eat or go out today. She believed me since I had mentioned my bad sleeping habits the first day of coming here.

She let me be and I quickly ran upstairs. I took a quick shower and put on a fresh set of clothes on. All the clothes I had were black and summer was brewing upon us. I would have to get some light clothing if I didn't want to burn all season long. In the mean time, I slipped on a pair of black jeans and a black short sleeve shirt that went a little past my waist than I expected it to. I sloppily tucked it into my jeans and pulled on my black converse. The rats nest of hair that I had glowed apart from all the black that I was wearing. I searched for a hoodie to put over. I settled with a black beanie.

A knock came from the front door and I heard it open. "Hello? It's Percy. Are you ready to go?"

I ran down the stairs and slowed to a stop in front of him. Why did my face feel weird? I wiped my cheek and felt the edge of my lips farther than usual. I was grinning. Why was I grinning? Too many questions. No answers.

"Are we robbing a bank?" Percy looked me down. I felt a pang of embarrassment. I wanted to run back upstairs and hide. But I couldn't do that. I needed to see this little passage for myself.

"You said it was a secret." I tried playing it off. I wasn't really good at that. My face was probably red and the scar above my lip twitched whenever I was nervous. I bit it and walked past him, so he wouldn't see. "Are we going or not?"

-

Turns out that we were leaving out the back door. There were too many people outside and I could have sworn I had caught Annabeth's eye.

We walked along the wall until we came to a grassy area behind one of the houses. Percy walked around the spot until he bent down and pulled a sewer cap off.

I leaned over him, the tunnel was dark and small. Enough room for one person, a little tight for two.

"You've been in here before?"

He nodded before climbing inside. I followed after him and pulled the sewer cap over the entrance. I dropped to the ground once I reached the last step of the ladder. Water splattered over my legs and I froze.

"Is this clean?"

Percy didn't answer. He just smiled and walked forward. We reached the light at the end of the tunnel and he unlocked the gate door that kept us inside the tunnel. Now we were free. I climbed a little more up the hill in front of us and saw the gates of Half Blood Hill way behind. This was my way out.

"This way."

Percy turned to his right and started walking into the forest of trees. I still had to go to that lake. I had no choice but to follow him. Besides, he could get killed from the first walker that approached him. I jogged after him and kept at his side.

Why did I care what happened to him? All I wanted was to get out of here.

My hand still stayed on my belt that held my knife. Percy was out here looking for fun, but I knew too well that this kind of place was the most predictable place walkers could wander.