14

(Back to Jason's POV, but let me know if you wanna see more of Percy)

Running at night is dangerous.

Especially when you have to look out for walkers or ordinary humans who have turned into crazy psychopaths and are thirsty for blood. But to top it off, I still hadn't recovered from my huge head injury. My vision was blurry and if I ran too fast or jerked my head to the side, it would turn completely black.

The sky was already as dark as it could possibly be. I didn't need this annoying blindness too.

I was outside of the gates and running like a mad man trying to find any sign of human trace whether it was Percy or Octavian and his demonic friends.

When I thought I had finally found someone, I'd only come to realize it was another stupid walker. I'd grab my knife and stab them straight through the eye.

I wasn't scared of these creatures anymore.

It was something else that drove me over edge.

Anger?

Annoyance?

I just wanted to find Percy and get him out of here before Octavian got his hands on him.

Gods, Percy. What was he thinking? If he had just came to me about this, I wouldn't have to be searching these woods for him.

Then I started to think it was my fault. If I hadn't been so eager to adventure to a place I didn't even know about, neither one of us would be in danger right now. Percy would be safe in his little home where everyone pretended human life wasn't on the verge of extinction. I didn't care if it was all an act or that I didn't approve of their way of living, in secrecy and hiding the truth of what they're really facing.

Percy was safe.

That's all that mattered.

Even if I did find him, I could never convince him to stay back home while I went off and lived my life as a natural survivor should.

Do you even hear yourself?

'Natural Survivor', my ass.

Why can't you just relax for a while, a year or so. Not everything has to be about killing every last one of them. Even you know that's impossible.

I slowed down and began to walk. What was I thinking? Deep down, I just didn't want to get attached to a home that could crumble and be overrun by walkers at any second or get too close to anyone just to watch them turn against me and try to gnaw at my flesh.

If I lived on my own, all I had to worry about was me, myself, and I.

But it was too late.

Percy was in danger and I was risking everything to save him.

-

I think I'd been running for an hour before I collapsed. I tried convincing myself that I was fine but it was hard to believe when I started puking all over the side of a tree.

I leaned my head against the bark and groaned.

Where are you, Percy?

I turned around and nearly choked.

Eyes stared back at me but when my vision focused more on their color, I was disappointed to confirm that they were blue.

I realized just who was in front of me before dodging their attack.

In this darkness, it was hard to see them pull their weapon out until it was inches from my face.

Leaves crunched from either sides of me and I was met with another figure on my right except this time, I could only see one eye...