Chapter 1: The Beginning

"Hey! Siren-head!"

I didn't even have to contemplate on who the voice was calling for. I spun around, not in the mood for any arguments.

It was Miranda Meek with her posse of friends.

,,

This is how my Monday morning began. Being terrorized by a group of girls who had nothing to do but bash on the red head.

I was just getting out of my car when Miranda and her friends came up behind me.

She stared me down. "You must be pretty smart if you're in that stupid little Gifted class"

"Its not stupid if its called the Gifted class. Do you even know what its about?"

Miranda rolled her eyes. "Don't try to out smart me Winston. You're just a freak with your siren head. Do you even go out into the sunlight, or do you stay inside all day doing homework and read?"

I was not one of those girls that could just stand up and say snappy comebacks right off my mind. Instead, I just turned around, hugging my bag close, and walked right into school. I was very sensitive, but I knew better not to cry in front of them.

I never told anyone I was in the Gifted class. Never. It just sorta spilled out through the school. Secrets are never kept secret in Brooklyn Hall.

The class was ignored until Connor Beckham joined. Connor was the star football player, but he never bragged. He was one of those guys that was popular, but kept to himself. With his shaggy dirty blonde hair and bright blue eyes, people would think he was a guy that would brag about everything. Those people were wrong. He was as humble as he can be. And of course, he was dating Miranda Meek. The other popular girl at school.

Typical High School love story.

G Class (what I always call it) was the only class that I personally liked. Its where I could be with other kids that have the same type of knowledge as me. It was like a shelter for us nerds away from the gossip and social turmoil of the school. Plus, there were only 12 of us, and I liked that.

When Connor first walked into the classroom, the room fell silent. We all watched as he walked in like it was no big deal.

"..What? Can a football player not be smart or something?" He said, raising an eyebrow at our expressions.

We accepted him right then.

He fit in perfectly, which surprised us all. All of us in the class weren't exactly 'close friends', but more like 'academic acquaintances.' We all still had our own cliques, which was a problem to me because I had no clique.

I only hung out with my best friends Josie and Spike, who were also in the class.

"Nadia!" Josie called out behind me. I could feel her trying to catch up with me so I stopped walking and turned around. It must of looked like I was still hurt by Miranda because Josie immediately frowned. "Hey, why the sad face?"

"Miranda and her...'crew'." I muttered, pushing a strand of hair away from my face.

"Hey! Don't let them get to you!" Josie put her hand on my shoulder. "I got something exciting to tell you that I think would make you a little bit better."

"What is it?" I asked, a bit doubtful. Usually the stuff she tells me is about this book she's reading, or the movie that she just saw the other day.

"I saw some men behind the school in some kind of labcoats carrying some boxes of stuff. I dont' know what was in it, but I think it may be the new lab equipment that were getting! Y'know, the one that may have the new bunsen burner that we get to use?"