Adjusting

(A.N. Yes, I know Sasuke is OOC, and he will stay that way. It's due to him being Naruto's friend. Deal with it!)
_________________________________

"Teme, you can't handle him by yourself! Let me do it!"

At this Sasuke smirked, but it wasn't his usual 'I'm-better-than-you smirk. It was sad. Why would he do this? Naruto couldn't understand.

"Why Sasuke? Why are you sacrificing yourself? Why for me of all people?" Naruto cried, trying to make Sasuke see sense.

"Dobe, you said it yourself didn't you? We're Konoha Shinobi aren't we? And we protect each other. Besides, if anyone can save this world now, it's you."

Sasuke turned from Naruto and ran towards Madara, becoming the distraction so Naruto could hit him with his last attack.

But it wasn't supposed to go this way.

HE was suppose to be the diversion, while SASUKE was supposed to burn him with Amaterasu, so why was he doing this? Why was he, the last thing Naruto had to live for, sacrificing himself? Why was he leaving him?

WHY?!
_________________________________

Naruto woke up with tears in his eyes.

"Another nightmare?" He asked himself in an expressionless voice.

And he then proceeded to fall out of his bed.

"Ite!"
_________________________________

Mornings sucked. Especially for a certain blonde haired Uzumaki on this brilliantly cold day, thus freezing the blonde boy. Unfortunately, he just had to deal with it.

Over the last few weeks, Naruto had gotten used to his 'second' life, and made friends with various people.

Uchiha Sasuke. By far the winner of the biggest ego award, had finally become less of an emo avenger and had become a close friend to Naruto.

Nara Shikamaru. Surprisingly, the two got along immensely, especially since Naruto was not nearly as ... Dumb as the first time, to put it in a nice way. The shogi matches were fun. In a way that involved... Unmentionables.

Inuzuka Kiba. Pretty much the same as last time, with the two constantly pulling pranks and whatnot.

Aburame Shino. Much like Kiba, his friendship with the boy was much like last time, if you ignored the fact that Naruto came to class nearly everyday with some new bug he had found beforehand and gave it to Shino.

Akamichi Choji. Still being best friends with Shikamaru, he rarely, if ever, left his side. He and Naruto constantly compared food though. (Ramen is the food of the gods no matter what people say.) Everything else was the same between them though.

Hinata Hyuuga. Naruto had done absolutely nothing to change her views on him. Call him an ass but Himata was, is and always will be the only person to have a crush on him before the age of fifteen. He needed something to boost his ego.

Haruno Sakura and Yamanaka Ino. Nothing. Fangirls, it seems, are incapable of become anything more than simple minded fangirls until after puberty, surprisingly enough. Solution? Spread a rumour that the Uchiha liked strong women, who didn't mind getting their hands dirty. And it worked.

Everything was great.

The only question left was whether to stay Dobe, of to actually put in an effort.

Naruto, being who he was, had been informed of how teams were formed, especially the way the always put Rookie-of-the-Year with the Dead Last.

Of course he wanted to be on the same team before but the only way to do that was to not change anything.

But...

Maybe Naruto can beg the Old Man for specific teams?

Or he could guilt trip him with the old I-have-no-other-friends complaint.

Yeah. Why not?

Ah screw it. It's easier being Dead Last.

"There's still a chance it won't turn out the same you know?" Kurama reminded him.

'I say it's worth the risk.'

"Suit yourself." And with that, the Fox went back to sleep.

And thus the timetraveller continued of his journey to save everyone from the destruction of a Uchiha Madara.

With a smile on his face no less.