Regions of Saleen - Ch. 3 - Part 3

<Sorry my updates are so inconsistent, I've been busy recently but now I've gotten some free time so expect them to come more often>

   As I heard these words I felt as if my entire world around me was crumbling down in a cascade of terror. They must of just discovered our empty rooms and were now running through the halls in an attempt to find us before we could make it to the surface. I looked over at Illias and he too seemed to pale at the idea of getting caught. I knew would be spared because I'm deemed valuable to them but Illias, a "village scum", would likely be killed on the spot.

   In the mist of all this confusion and fear a sudden calm swept over me and could feel myself become deathly serious; this was life or death and I could not have another persons blood on my hands. It was as if my body had been taken over by a omnipotent being. I stood and pulled Illias up beside me. As I scanned the room I saw a door hidden on the far right wall, similar to the one that had lead us to this very room. Walking over to it, I could feel Illias tense up and become paralyzed with fear, the strong confident person that had led me through the halls had melted away, revealing a frail shell of a man.

   The door wouldn't open as I pushed against it with my entire body force, it as if someone greater than me was holding it shut on the other side. I stepped back and with words I didn't know and a tongue I didn't understand I ordered it to open. I swung both arms out like a bird taking flight and the door flew off its hinges and slammed into the wall, creating a tremor that resonated throughout the walls of our prison.

   I looked back behind me only to see Illias staring back at me, eyes wide with confusion and overwhelming fear. Without looking at what was on the other side, I pulled Illias along with myself through the door frame. We found ourselves in a dark room, the only light coming through the door frame, lighting only the near vicinity. But with this dim light, we could see the bones scattered along the warped wooden floor on which we stood. With no time for dwelling on this discovery, we ran across the room, hoping to find another way out.

As we recklessly ran through the room, bones cracking under out feet, Illias started to whisper in what I've come to recognize as the tongue of the users of the ways. A crystal clear orb appeared with a puff of smoke, glowing, and lighting up the dark room. I looked back at Illias and saw his composure had returned in full force, a slightly crooked smile and mussed up hair greeted me and gave me even more courage to keep moving forward.

The orb began to move and, following Illias' lead, I too walked after it, into the unknown, leaving behind the thunder of footsteps that rumbled below us.