Regions of Saleen - Ch. 5 - Only part

<I'm planning to re-number all the parts/chapters soon so it might look a bit weird next time I update>< I apologize this one is so short but I just love leaving each one off with a mini cliff hanger>

Blinding light floods my vision. Everything is blurry and has a reflective quality to it. I look down; I'm wearing my ritual gown and am holding the dagger in my hand. The ritual fire warms my skin and for some reason it feels as if I were floating. The familiar chant echoes around me as I walk up to the new victim to be tested. My mouth starts to move, forming the words but I cannot hear them, my body is moving on its own and I am trapped in my head. The man tied in front of me is smaller than usual but looks up to me eagerly.

His expression changes from one of hopefulness to a look of horror. With a blink of an eye, all his features are that of Illias and his cobalt eyes stared into mine, a mix of betrayal and sorrow. His whole face pleads for me to stop as he whispers his regrets under his breath. At first I do not understand this but then it hits me. After his death, he wants to be saved. I look around me and catch the gaze of the headmaster, who gives me a nod of approval, wanting me to continue.

I look back down at Illias, if I refuse, we both die.

I apologize to him silently and close my eyes and I plunge the dagger deep into his chest.I can hear a gasp escape his lips that chills me to the bone.  With tears welling up in my eyes, I cut my palm and drop my blood into his mouth, quietly chanting a prayer. I look back at his eyes, internally begging for them to open--to show some sign of life-- when I feel an unusual shaking sensation come over me.

Everything goes dark. And then, I open my eyes.