Foreword

A large part of this story is based on retrograde amnesia, which I'm not an expert on. That means there are going to be lots of flaws because of the gaps in my knowledge. From what I do know, retrograde amnesia can be caused by injuries to the head which then affect the brain, traumatic events, surgery and a couple of other things that make absolutely no sense to me.

This story focuses on traumatic events and it's narrowed down to psychogenic amnesia. The character will remember her earliest memories because they've had time to strengthen and so they are harder to get rid of. She will, however, forget the traumatic event(s) and the period of time leading up to it.

This is mainly because she consciously or subconsciously wishes to forget it, which then leads her mind to do just that. As the traumatic event(s) were obviously a big part of her life, they were also a part of her past identity. With the absence of that past identity will come a new one.

She will also be able to form new memories, as there is an absence of anterograde amnesia (where new memories are quickly lost).

Although the option to take some form of medication or undergo hypnosis is there, this particular character will remember her past on her own. This will take time and may be the result of being exposed to elements of said past.