Chapter One

It was a collision of thoughts, I suppose, tearing your mind into fragments. It's just a matter of gluing those fragments back together that's going to be the problem, because really they're memories. And memories need a substance stronger than glue to force them back into what they were, what they are. In fact, they need threads of emotion to tie them together at all.

I think I knew it even then, just slightly.

By now, you probably think I'm a psycho and you have every right to do so. I mean, I probably would have called the police at this point, but there's something you need to know-

"Okay, now, let's get you sitting up," the nurse said, reaching over to refill the glass of water. "You'll be going home soon, I think. I saw your mum and dad coming up with a bag, so it's probably your things."

I didn't say anything, instead choosing to turn my head away from her. She smelt of hospital: a mix of lemon floor cleaner and strawberry hand sanitizer. It was just slightly better than the stench of coffee from when she'd accidentally taken me to the staffroom. It hadn't helped that the room had been a cluttered mess, with stained magazines and barely any space left to breathe. A series of ancient certificates hung on the wall and cracks in the plaster from old age, the staff room had become my least favourite place in the entire hospital.

"I bet you'll be glad to be out and about," she commented. "Must be nice to see all your friends again, go to all those parties and have fun. Mind, you probably won't remember most of-"

Her voice was cut off by a crash from outside. I heard a loud wail and then a chorus of yells and shrieking. An army of footsteps moved at once. One of the senior nurses - Maggie - could be heard asking the crowd that had surely formed to move away and give her space. Buzzing sounded in my ears as the nurse rushed to shut the door, leaving me with only the brief snippets of disorderly conversation I had heard before I was locked inside the room again.

Then there was a second crash, causing nurse swore under her breath. "Sorry about this. I'll just sort it out and come back. Don't move."

As soon as she left, I searched out the letter, which had somehow lost itself in the covers. It was slightly crumpled from where I'd shoved it under my cushion but readable enough. Only the slight movements I made when I turned my body into more comfortable positions prevented me from reading the letter. Otherwise, I was completely absorbed by it.

By now, you probably think I'm a psycho and you have every right to do so. I mean, I probably would have called the police at this point, but there's something you need to know about Laney.

People are probably going to ask you about this, about her murder. You have to remember, though, that you can't give them all the answers. You have to find them out yourself first. But know that - if they ask - you were just running away from the death of your best friend, not your sins.

You were just there, Olivia. You saw her when she-

The printed words were smudged on the paper, so I had to skip to the next part.

It hurts because I know, but I can't do anything. I need you to tell them the truth because I don't know how much longer I'm going to be here.