Chapter 1

1

*warning* This work will contain some homophobic, racism and/or ableist slurs. I do not promote the use of these slurs they are only used to emphasize the homophobia/racism/ableism of certain characters. If this may trigger you I suggest not reading this. 

Walking to Mrs. Kenobi's house wasn't anything like walking to school, work or anything really, it was...different. I don't know how to explain it but it was kind of like moving or taking a vacation to a completely different part of the world, something I'd only experienced once before when I moved from Phoenix to Janesville. Phoenix was dry, hot, populated, consisted of a middle class, and generally had limited vegetation. Janesville was the complete opposite. Janesville was humid, consisted of mild temperatures, held barely a thousand people, had no middle class whatsoever, and had enough vegetation for all of America.

In Janesville, your wealth determined your social status, the more money you had the more popular you were. The town was even set up to prove it. All the lower-class citizens lived on the east side of town, all the higher-class citizens lived on the west side of town and all the community buildings, such as the schools, were in the middle. I lived in the east side with my mom.

My mom said she never knew who my father was. Her wealthy family kicked her out once they found out she was pregnant with me, leaving her a single mother with a crappy job and no high school diploma. Nevertheless, she always kept an upbeat attitude.

To reach Mrs. Kenobi's house I had to walk from the east side of town to the west. In a big town, this probably would've taken a long time, but since Janesville was so small it only took about fifteen minutes. I liked watching the shacks of houses turn into extravagant mansions. I can't say why I enjoyed this because I honestly didn't know.

Mrs. Kenobi lived on the far side of the west end, where the richest of the rich lived. This meant that Mrs. Kenobi had a big house with an even bigger lawn, which I would have to mow and tend to. Despite all the work, it was worth it, especially since Mrs. Kenobi didn't hold back on the paycheck.

Mrs. Kenobi did a great deal for my mom and I. Her letting me mow her lawn brought in a lot of money that went towards our groceries, rent, mortgage and hopefully my college tuition. Regardless, whenever I mowed her lawn I got...uncomfortable. She'd call me in several times a week, causing her grass to burn due to its short length, and every time she'd get her butler to make her a lemonade (with a hint of vodka) while sitting on a lawn chair in her long driveway watching me work. Often times it'd get too hot for me to function causing me to have to remove clothing, this is when she'd ask for a refill, sometimes from her butler sometimes from me, but what could I do? She practically paid my rent.

Mrs. Kenobi's house, if you could even call it that, had five floors, including a basement. It was ten thousand square feet, which was completely ridiculous. What would a single lady do with ten thousand square feet? It was built with a bunch of columns, making it look more like frat house more than anything. It also had ten bedrooms (don't ask me how I know that, it's rather traumatizing). As I approached, Mrs. Kenobi came out of her gigantic front doors.

"Anakin! I'm so glad you're here. The past two weeks have been terrible; I might have to get you to give me a massage before you start on the lawn."

Two weeks ago, I told Mrs. Kenobi I was going on vacation. A complete lie. Truth be told, I needed a break from her constant, flirtatious nagging. This resulted in me not leaving the house for two weeks and spending up all my vacation days for my job at Watto's, the town's corner store.

"Hey, Mrs. Kenobi," I responded with gritted teach.

Mrs. Kenobi grabbed my hand and led me to her lawn chair. Once she called Isaac, her butler, and told him to get her a lemonade, she sat on her chair and ordered me to start massaging. Just at that moment, Mr. Claudel from across the street came out of his mansion, gave us a funny look, got into his car and drove away. This wasn't a rare occurrence.