Chapter 8

I don't have time to see Obi's reaction before I dash out of the clearing.

"Anakin!" I hear Obi call after me.

I ignore him and continue running as fast as I can out of the forest. I get hit it the face a couple times by branches and my legs get cut up by thistles but I keep running.

Why did I do that? I don't like Obi or do I?

My head is a mess of confusion.

Finally, I spot Obi's backyard through the trees. I can hear my classmates encouraging somebody to 'chug'. How did Obi manage to get his grandmother to let him throw a party with alcohol? Or even a party at all?

I break through the trees and into Obi's backyard panting.

Everyone has stopped yelling 'chug' and is starting at me. I spot Nick, who looks betrayed and confused. What's up with him? I walk past him and he doesn't insult me, or look at me at all. This isn't the Nick I know, but I don't have time to dwell on it. I have to get out of here before Obi can confront me.

I walk into Obi's house, winding my way through people to get to his front door.

"Ani?" Mrs. Kenobi calls.
I really don't have time for this. I try to keep moving but Mrs. Kenobi stops me.

"Ani? Are you all right?" She looks concerned.

I don't have time to answer before Tana and Padmé join Mrs. Kenobi. I'm surrounded by echoes of 'are you alright's. I don't answer any of them because, honestly, I don't know if I am.

"Padmé, can you take me home?" I say, breaking the chorus of concerned voices.

Padmé nods and we're out of there before anybody else can ask me anything else.

~Obi's POV~

Anakin likes me? I mean if he didn't he wouldn't have kissed me, right?

I call after Anakin once but I don't chase after him. He seems as surprised as I am about the kiss.

Do I like Anakin? I mean the lake has always been my favourite place. Did I bring him to the lake because I like him? I haven't shown any of my friends this place. It's always seemed like something that was for my eyes only. Then why did I show Anakin?

This is too confusing.

Sighing, I get up from my spot on the picnic bench and start walking back to the party.

~Anakin's POV~

Padmé didn't ask any questions as we were driving but as soon as we were parked outside of my house she started bombarding me with questions immediately.

"Why did you have to find Obi? Why did you have to talk to him in private? What happened? Why are you so upset?"

"I'm not upset," I reply. Padmé gives me a look.

"Uh huh, sure. If you aren't so upset why'd we have to leave the party so early? Also, what the hell is up with you and Mrs. Kenobi?"

"Why does everyone think there's something going on with me and Mrs. Kenobi?"

"Anakin! Don't answer my question with a question!"

I sigh.

"Fine. Fine. I wanted to find Obi and talk to him in private because I wanted to apologize to him."

My neighbours are passing Padmé's car and giving it weird looks. There's usually no fancy cars in this neighbourhood.

"Why? What'd you do? Is this about the Nick thing because he totally deserved—"