13 years

Extremely long chapter ahead!

Lockwood

I miss her. It had been almost two years since Lucy had moved away, and I missed her every damn day. I could tell George and Holly missed her too, but not as badly as me. Every second she was gone, it was like I was in a constant battle of pain and heartache, though neither was winning.

I had been walking through town to my favourite coffee shop, when I saw her. There she was, Lucy Carlyle, sitting at my usual table in the coffee shop. My heart stopped dead as I watched her staring out the window at the River Thames. She had a rather sad expression on her face, and I wondered why. I hated to see Lucy sad, so I went inside. The bell jangled, but she didn't look as I strode in and ordered my usual coffee. I made my way over to the table and said,

"Hello miss Carlyle." With one of my 1,000 megawatt smiles, as she used to call it. She jumped, and turned to look up at me.

Lucy

I was sitting in my favourite Cafe, looking out the window at the Thames, thinking sadly about Lockwood, and George, and Holly, whom I had left behind when I left Lockwood and Co. I had been very sad to leave 35 Portland row, and I still was, I had a wonderful life there with Lockwood and George, and even though I hated Holly when I first met her, we had become friends.

The bell on the door jingled and I didn't bother to look up, knowing I wouldn't care who it was, just as I didn't care about most things these days. A few minutes later, I heard a beautifully familiar voice say from behind me,

""Hello miss Carlyle." I would know that voice anywhere, even if it were distorted and ruined by some sort of mask. I jumped and turned to look up at the tall, skinny figure with dark hair and glittering eyes. Lockwood flashed his 1,000 megawatt smile and I stared at him in shock.

Slowly, I got up. I took the to-go cup of coffee from his hands and set it gently on the table. Then I tackled him with a bear hug. He froze momentarily, but quickly embraced me as well. He was squeezing the air out of my lungs, but I didn't care. All I cared about was that I was with him. I breathed in his scent of...something, I couldn't tell what exactly. I could've stayed locked in that embrace for hours more, but he pulled apart and stared at me, his dark eyes glittering softly.

"I missed you." He whispered after a moment.

"Me too." I managed.

He sat down and I followed his example. "What were you doing for the year and 279 days while you weren't at the company?" He asked. At least I wasn't the only one who had been counting the days. I bit my lip. I knew eventually I would have to tell him, but I really didn't want to. Holly was the only one who knew, and I swore her to secrecy the moment I'd found out. I guess if Lockwood was asking me this question, then she didn't tell, thank god.

"Erm....just stuff..." I answered secretively. He raised a brow.

"What kind of stuff?" He asked suspiciously.

"Just...stuff...that people do..."

Lockwood

I knew Lucy was lying. The moment I asked her a question, she bit her lip and her face turned pale. She only did these things when she lies. Her answers were hesitant, as if she really didn't want to tell me something.

"What is it Luce? What's wrong?" I suddenly registered how tired and exhausted she looked. Enormous bags under her eyes, messy hair as if she hadn't brushed it this morning. Or the last. And she looked a tiny bit heavier than she had when she'd left.