Chapter 6

(Bramblepaw's POV)

Bramblepaw's eyes shot open.
* did I hear that right?* Bramblepaw jumped up from his nest.
he looked around the den and noticed Skypaw wasn't in the den. As he looked over the nests of Emeraldpaw, Lionpaw, Tigerpaw and Shadepaw he realized they were beginning to wake up as well. they all lifted their heads, eyes wide in fear from the noise coming from the camp.
There was a loud noise coming from outside the den.
As he reached the exit of the den his heart began to beat harder and faster than it ever had before. He heard screeching and barks coming from the camp.
* barking, could that be dogs?*
He ran out of the den, Tigerpaw and Shadepaw not far behind him.

It was horrifying.
Blood stained the ground of the camp.
Warriors were locked in battle with what Bramblepaw assumed were wolves.
*wolves...?* Bramblepaw's attention was stolen from a wolf coming his way.
*dear Starclan help me now, I haven't even had any battle training!*
Bramblepaw's battle training had been cancelled due to Nimblestep, Bearclaw, and Glowflame's warrior ceremony.

Bramblepaw decided to just go with instinct and leapt at the wolf as it neared him.
That was his first mistake.
Bramblepaw's confidence faded as the wolf stepped out of the way and sent Bramblepaw skidding on the dirt ground of the camp.
The wolf took advantage of Bramblepaw's vulnerability and bit Bramblepaw right in the back.

Bramblepaw writhed in pain as the wolf sunk its teeth into his back.
Before the wolf could make the kill he was pushed off Bramblepaw.
Bramblepaw struggled for a moment while getting up.
It was Pinefrost who had rammed the wolf off of Bramblepaw and he now had the wolf pinned down on the ground.
Bramblepaw knew a single warrior wouldn't be able to hold a wolf down for long.
He ran over to Pinefrost and started clawing at the wolf.
The wolf was really angry now and started kicking his hind legs at Pinefrost's underbelly.
The wolf gave one last powerful kick and Pinefrost was propelled backwards and layed unmoving on the ground.

Before the wolf had the chance to get up Bramblepaw sliced a huge gash down his underbelly.
The wolf writhed in pain as Bramblepaw sent another blow his way.
A flash of ginger-brown fur passed Bramblepaw on his right and all of the sudden Emberheart was on top of the wolf, fighting alongside Bramblepaw.
The wolf was lying on the ground, still alive, but lacking the strength to defend himself against Emberheart's attacks.
Emberheart took advantage of this and sunk his teeth into the wolfs neck, finishing him.

Bramblepaw turned around, ready to continue the fight, but when he looked around camp he saw that the battle had ended. Six wolves had attacked the camp, only two had been killed, the others injured enough to run away from the fight.
As Bramblepaw's eyes scanned the camp he noticed that multiple warriors laid unmoving on the ground.
Florafall and Vinepaw were rushing around, tending the worst of the wounds first.
Bramblepaw looked around for Tigerpaw but his eyes found Elkstar instead.

His father's leg was bleeding badly but despite his wounds, he jumped up onto the high cliff.
He didn't bother with the formal calling of a clan meeting and addressed the clan right away.
"Cats of Stormclan, as you know, our camp has been attacked by wolves. We are lucky as to have none of our cats killed, but many badly injured. In a time like this I only ask that you don't panic. Florafall and Vinepaw will tend to the wounds of the injured and I'm sure they will all make a great recovery. In the meantime I need volunteers to go on a patrol to make sure all the wolves have left our territory."
"I'll go." Whitefire volunteered immediately. He wasn't too badly injured and was eager to help the clan as much as he could.
"I'll go as well." Poppyfur stated not long after Whitefire.
"Excellent. Eaglemoon, are you fit enough to lead the patrol?"
"Yes, of course." Eaglemoon replied, she looked like she was trying to hide a huge cut running along her flank.
*Was Elkstar really going to let her lead a patrol with her injury? What if they ran into more wolves?* Bramblepaw thought to himself.
But Elkstar didn't seem to notice his deputy's injury and continued speaking.
"Poppyfur, choose two apprentices to accompany the patrol. That is all."

Elkstar finished addressing the clan and leapt off of the high cliff, flinching at the pain of his injury as he landed.
* Hmm, I don't see Tigerpaw anywhere. I suppose I'll go and see if she's in the medicine cat's den.*
"Bramblepaw, are you well enough to come on the patrol?" Bramblepaw was snapped out of his thoughts at Poppyfur's question.
"What? Oh, yes I think so." Bramblepaw replied.
Bramblepaw wasn't injured very badly in the battle, but his mind was spinning from his first fight.
"Okay, ask Shadepaw if she would like to accompany us as well."
Bramblepaw followed Poppyfur's gaze to Shadepaw, she was huddled around her father, Pinefrost with Florafall and Cherryfeather.
* he must be badly injured, I hope he's okay.* Bramblepaw thought as he padded up to the group of cats huddled around his mentor.
"Excuse me, Shadepaw? I was just wondering if you're feeling well enough to go on a patrol to make sure the wolves have left the territory. " The young apprentice didn't seem to notice Bramblepaw at first.
"Um, Shadepaw?" Bramblepaw tried to gain her attention.
"What's that? Oh yes for sure, I'll join you on that patrol." Shadepaw turned from her father to face Bramblepaw.
"Are you sure, I could ask Skypaw and see if he would want to come if you'd rather stay here with Pinefrost." Bramblepaw offered her.
"No it's fine, I'll come. My brother - Skypaw, is injured pretty badly too, I don't think he'd be up for it." Shadepaw's gaze met Bramblepaw's as she spoke and it was then that Bramblepaw could really admire her features for the first time.
She had a sleek dark grey pelt and beautiful deep green eyes.
"Erm, should we uh, get going now." Shadepaw meowed; clearly uncomfortable, making Bramblepaw realize that he had been staring at the she-cat.
"Oh! Yea, let's go." Bramblepaw spoke quickly and nervously as the two apprentices padded over to the camp entrance to join the rest of the patrol.
"Shadepaw, glad you could join us. Let's get a move on then." Eaglemoon declared as she led the patrol out of camp.

(Hiya Jcats! Hope you enjoyed this chapter! So wow lotta stuff happened in this chapter! I was thinking of doing another version of this chapter only in Tigerpaw's perspective, what do you guys think? Question time!!! Where do you guys think Tigerpaw went? (Why couldn't Bramblepaw find her etc.) What do you think of Bramblepaw and Shadepaw?? Is it too soon for BramblexShade? Keep in mind we also have Rainkit, Sunkit, Robinkit, and Lightkit's apprentice ceremony coming up eh? That should be interesting to have more apprentices join the den! Please lemme know what you thought of this chapter in the comments, and if you would take the time to vote it would be greatly appreciated as well. I think that's about it Jcats! Thanks so much for reading and as always...
See you in the next chapter (>^_^)>