8. Band Camp!!

August 8, 2015

Mr. Girard is going to kill me. I haven't practiced all summer up until yesterday. I could barely remember how to play.

Crap. Band Camp is tomorrow. I'm screwed. Got to go practice...

August 9, 2015

Well, Band Camp went alright. We got new music. We're supposed to learn up to measure tonight, but it's hard! The piece is called Abandoned Treasure Hunt. The part that freaks me out the most is *shudder* sixteenth notes. I hate sixteenth notes.

So back to Band Camp. I met an 8th grader who was pretty nice, so I'm feeling kind of confident about that. Jack, Kennedy, and Bri are in my band, so that helps. Most of my friends are Honors Band, though.

We ran through the music a lot, then went outside and played some bonding games. It's hard to bond with 8th graders, especially the ones in my section. On the upside, two of the girls are in Athletics as well! But they're 8th grade.

August 10, 2015

Today, we ran through the music again. It was better, but gods the trumpets. Cannot. Play. Soft. Especially the one named Lucas. Mr. Girard has to say (at least three times) "Lucas, match the rest of the trumpets!" Actually, it's mostly just brass messing up. To out it in the words of every band director I've met, "Woodwinds, you're perfect."

August 12. 2015

Today was the poster making contest. The 8th grade flutes pretty much took over. Our poster ended up having a picture of a unicorn on it and reading "Fluticorns: It's a flute thing, you wouldn't understand"-except we spelled wouldn't wrong...

The double reeds were "Snoboe and the Seven Bassoons," and the French Horns were "Children of the Horns." The trombones actually did a really cool IPhone posters, with "Slide to Play."

And then we got to the trumpets. They just drew a tree, put their names on a poster and wrote "#TrumpetSwag" on their poster. Very-um-well, I have no words. Percussion was worse. Theirs was just one of those triangle human things Leonardo Da Vinci made. What does that have to do with percussion?

Oh boy... This is going to be a tiring year...