10. Hard Work

October 31, 2015

I can't believe I went through with that today. Freaking 38th place! I worked for months on this music and got 38th place! The band directors weren't kidding about District being a hard competition.

Time to back up here. For the past two months, I've been learning three etudes for the toughest competition of the year, District Band. I had my etudes down! Today was the auditions. I did my usual audition thing and freaked out. At least I played a lot better then my band auditions. Hannah even gave me a thumbs up, which was encouraging because she and Anna are pretty much the best flute players at school.

When we got the results, I was 38th place. I didn't even make District Band. Hannah did, and Anna even moved onto Region Band. Alise (a clarinet) and Lucas both made District. Lucky.

What else did I expect though? I was competing against Honors Band kids from across the district. Alise and Lucas were in my band, though. Doesn't that prove its possible? Am I just not as good as I though? All the directors said I was good at the etudes.

I wanted to make the band directors proud. I was Mr. Girard's favorite student, or at least I thought. I guess that will go to Alise now.

I guess I'm just not as good as they thought.