sixteen

(a/n: amazingphone IS BACK AND BETTER THAN EVER WITH SOME PHIL FANART)

D A N ' S  P O V

Waking up screaming was always a normal occurrence for me, but not as much as it was now. Almost every night I was waking up shaking, eyes wide and brimmed over with tears. 

I've gotten five hours total of sleep this whole week alone.

I stood up from the bed, careful not to wake Phil. I had woken him up every night and I knew mentally he didn't mind, but the bags under his eyes said otherwise. I tiptoed over to the closet, peeling a comfy hoodie from the hanger and throwing it over myself.

I shoved my hands in my pockets and pushed open the door, turning around one last time to look at the sleeping beauty that I was lucky enough to call mine. His lips were parted, tiny snores tumbling out with his arms hugging a pillow in replacement of my body. I grinned before turning, gasping when someone stood in front of me.

"Where are you going?" Matthew asked, rubbing his eyes with his free hand, the other one holding a newly-filled cup of water.

"Out," I shrugged, pushing to get past the boy. He didn't budge, raising an eyebrow at me. I exhaled. "I'm tired of having Chinese or pizza every night- I'm gonna go find some food."

"You mean steal some food?" He questioned. I looked down at my feet and he let out a giggle. "Well you aren't going without me. I'm out of cigarettes."

"Aren't you too young to be smoking?"

"Aren't we too young to be this sad?"

My lips formed in a line. "Touché."

I waited for him in the hallway while he threw on some clothes and we got in the car, driving off to a nearby gas station. Matthew went in first, forcing a dramatically friendly smile to the cashier.

"Can I help you boys?"

"Our mother's got a terrible cold," I lied, painting on a frown. "We just need some medication and food for her, we'll be out soon. Sorry for the late timing."

I followed Matt to the aisles, watching him grab a few chip bags and shove them in his sweatshirt.

"I've got a few bucks to buy a drink. When I buy the drink, you run out and get the car started. I'll be out as soon as possible, alright? And if anything happens, you're gonna drive away without any hesitation. Got it?"

Matthew gulped, nodding. I tossed him a Marlboro pack of cigarettes and some alcohol to shove in my hoodie, shooing him away. I headed to the counter, flashing a lopsided smile.

"Just this," I heard the door open behind me and Matthew went running out. The cashier gasped, grabbing a cell phone. I pulled out my gun, narrowing my eyebrows. "I don't wanna hurt you, but I will."

Then Matthew ruined it by walking back in. "Our car isn't there."

"What the fuck do you mean it's not there?" I snarled. I snapped my gaze to the cashier and he let his eyes flicker under the counter. I understood right away. This was a trap. I heard a gun click and dove forward, grabbing Matthew and knocking him down.

As I expected, a bullet flew past our heads and I let out a breath. I turned in time to see the cashier get shot and drop, and then a brown-haired girl hopped up. She smirked.

"You're as smart as they say you are," she spoke, grip tight on her gun.

"How did you know that we'd be here?" I questioned, standing in front of Matthew who was shaking.

"Trackers, bud," she giggled. "But unlike yours, this tracker is placed in his insides," she pointed to matt who froze. "So if you wanna take it out, you'll be taking his life  just as fast."

"You're sick," I hissed.

"And who's the one that started all of this?" She shot back. I shut my mouth. "Now I've got at least ten others coming to help me out, and you've got no where to run. So, if I were you I'd find a hiding place while you still can."

I stepped back and took Matthew's arm, pulling him and breaking into a run.

"The vent, go up the vent," Matthew whispered.

"Oh," the girl said when red and blue lights began flashing across the walls inside. "They're early."

"You called the cops?" I screamed, jumping up and latching onto the vent opening.

"I never said they were my friends," she shrugged. She had this all planned out. I stole a quick glance at that screens for security, noticing they were all pitch black. I pulled off the lid to the vent and Matthew hoisted me up first, and I took the time to look at the brunette. She leaned down and wiped the dead man's blood over her body and face, beginning to force cries and tears as soon as the police swept in.

"What happened? Are you alright?" A cop questioned. She shook her head, pointing a finger over to us.

"Matthew, hurry up!" I screamed, reaching down. He hesitated, keeping his hands at his sides.

"They k-killed him, and they tried to kill me. . . I begged them to stop," she sobbed, shooting a wicked grin at the two of us.

"They've already seen my face, Dan. I've got a tracker in me, and I've lost my sister. I'm gonna get you all killed too."

"What? No, Matthew, come on- you've made it this far and this was my fault, we can leave together-"

"Dan, go. Please. They'll be able to find us and kill all of your friends, including your boyfriend, if I go with you. It's too late."

"Matthew-"

Suddenly a body flung forward and I recognized the figure as a cop, and they pinned Matthew down and began handcuffing him. He shot me a smile and I shook my head, holding back tears. The man hadn't noticed yet but as soon as he looked up in my direction, I hid back behind the metal.

"No, one got away!" I heard the brunette cry. "He's in the vent!"

My eyes went wide and I began crawling away, gasping out when somebody grabbed at my leg and tried to yank me down. I yelped and kicked back, feeling my foot collide with flesh and hearing a groan follow suit, then crawled faster and faster.

I stopped and peeked through a small crack, realizing I didn't have my gun any more. The brunette noticed me and I flipped her the middle finger, crawling until I found an exit.

I hit the ground with a thud once I fell out, hearing cops shouting from the other side of the building. I got up and began sprinting to a nearby forest and stopping once I could no longer hear anyone. I paused.

I was alone.

I didn't have a phone, or a car, or anybody to talk to- I was stuck here until someone found me.

I sighed, dropping down to my knees and leaning against a tree. I wiped at my sweaty forehead and jumper, yawning.

And I fell asleep with no nightmares that night, because my life was now much scarier than my dreams.