note

fanart by @clarissajacob

wow.

so i actually finished.

and no, you don't know if dan and phil are dead or not and im not going to tell you what exactly happened because i want the readers' imagination to run wild.

i seriously, seriously enjoyed writing this trilogy- hell i didn't even think i'd write a second book. i thought i'd just write stained and kill them off, and that'd be it. but then i wrote twisted and all of you were so into my writing and ideas, i just had to throw in a third book for a thank you.

i didn't expect my series to get as many reads as it did either. when i first got wattpad and started writing, i only got around 30 reads?? the most reads i ever got on my old books was 13k. and now look at me. im full of fanart, comments, votes, and i was suggested in a goddamn fanfiction award???

this is fucking crazy, and it's all thanks to you guys.

so again, thank you.

i was honestly going to kill dan and phil off in this while all the others were either arrested or made it out and made a new live for themselves. but i admire john green and wanted to kind of make the ending similar to Looking For Alaska's: you don't really know what happened.

if you want a specific ending: Dan drowns in the waterfall while Phil survives. He ends up becoming an alcoholic and dies in a car crash while drunk. Oliver and Layla make it out alive and move away, starting a family together. Matthew stays in jail. Alex gets a place of their own and starts a foundation for LGBTQ+ kids. there you go.

I know it's funny that drowns, as he's a swimmer in the trilogy, but there's definitely iron in that. two things he loved got him killed: phil and swimming.

I know people didn't want them to die, and i understand the frustration. I love happy endings. but from the beginning, at least Phil was doomed for bad karma, and later dragged Dan into his fate. yes they were lovable characters, as i wanted them to be, but from an outside and reasonable view, they were chaotic and had caused lots of death- good or bad. plus, if they lived, they'd only ever just be surviving. the cops would always want them. dying and meeting in the afterlife is ideal for these Bonnie and Clyde lovers.

thanks for reading. stay insane, xoaudrey.