twenty one

fanart by detrevni_

D A N ' S P O V

We made it to the building and slid against the walls, pressing my ear against it for any sounds.

"Stop it! Stop it, please!"

I tensed upon realizing the shrill cries belonged to my boyfriend.

Layla tiptoed over to the side and noticed the three teens in front of the doors as security. "I'll knock them out, you and Oliver wait here. They have sunglasses on, you two could use those as disguises."

I shot her a quick nod before she headed over and whacked one in the side of the neck, instantly hitting a pressure point and knocking them out. The other two she kicked or punched, security now all knocked out. She picked the glasses off their faces and tossed each Oli and I a pair, slipping on her own shades. She then dragged the unconscious bodies into the tall grass, hiding them.

"Okay, Oliver should be fine but you they'll focus more on," she told me, crouching down next to us boys. "They've got your face memorized. I have some makeup in my backpack. I'll cover up some easy details and your rose tattoo. The bracelet you can keep on, just hide it under your sleeve. Maybe even throw some dirt on your sweater."

I nodded and dug my nails into the mud beneath me, mumbling under my breath as I smeared it on my favorite baby blue sweater. She reached into her front pocket of the backpack she was carrying and pulled out millions of types of eyeshadows, quickly working on making my skin tone look different and throwing in some scars and bruises.

Using a broken window shard as a mirror, my eyes widened at my appearance. "Damn, you're good."

"Yeah well when you kill your parents, you kind of don't want the cops finding you," she joked halfheartedly. I sent her a thankful smile before standing up and pushing my glasses on, ruffling up my hair. "If they question you, say you're new. Find a way to get to Phil. If something goes wrong, use Oliver's cell to call me and I'll be waiting out here to find you. I'll stay outside to check for any incomers and knock 'em out. If I don't answer the phone, leave without me."

"But-"

Without warning Layla was grabbing Oliver and hugging him. He squeezed back just as tightly, eyes falling shut. When we first met them, the two told us that they were one of the first patients to be admitted to the asylum. They had been best friends ever since.

"I always hated your haircut," she giggled halfheartedly against his shoulder, but he didn't laugh.

"Layla, please be safe," he said genuinely, and I was shocked at this emotional side of him. His eyes began to water and she reached out, wiping at his brown eyes.

"See you on the flip side," was all she said. When Oliver was about to question it, a voice rang out behind us and we turned while Layla hurried to hide.

"Hey! You two- what are you doing?"

I yanked my hood over my head, gulping and struggling to come up with a lie. Oliver stepped in, forcing a lazy smile.

"We're on duty for lookout. The others are a little. . . busy."

The strange boy nodded. "Alright well, dinner's in a few. We're having pizza again. But hey, this time we get stuffed crust since we managed to catch Phil Lester! We gotta celebrate, you know what I'm saying?"

Oliver forced a laugh. "Can't wait." The boy then skipped off and Oliver let his eyes meet mine over his shades. "Jocks." He scoffed. I held in a chortle.