nineteen

fanart by margoeverdeen

P H I L 'S  P O V

I jolted awake, hitting my head on the roof of the car.

I looked around to check if everyone was still there and let out a sigh when everyone was still here and asleep.

Then I heard the sirens.

I instantly looked at the rearview mirror to see, as I expected, around four cop cars slowly approaching. I let out a yelp and hit the gas, not even giving a heads up to my friends who were stunned awake screaming.

"What's going on?" Alex shouted.

"I don't know, but they found us!"

"Did we ever bother to check if anything was in the car?" Oli spoke. Dan groaned.

"Check under the seats."

And sure enough, a voice recorder was jammed underneath Layla's seat.

Wirrow's pact must have snuck it at the gas station and it's been recording everything we're saying, then transferring it to the police.

"There is no way we're making it out alive," Layla snarled.

"I have a gun in my back pocket."

"We are not shooting cops," I shot back at Oliver. He shrugged. "Okay, I'll try and slow down and each of you will jump out. When you jump out, you're gonna start running. You all have hoodies right? Put your hoods over your heads and split up into the woods. I'll call for where to meet, so one of you stay with Dan."

"I'll go with Dan," Layla offered.

"Okay. Dan and Layla, you two first." I slowed down and Dan hopped out, Layla rolling out of the backseat. As soon as they were out and running I hit the gas again, speeding farther. Oliver looked out the window.

"Two cars just followed them."

"Then we'll have to get two more on our asses. I'm not gonna have him taken away from me."

"Do we have any other weapons?" Alex questioned.

"There's some poppers from a Fourth of July party. . ." Oliver chuckled.

"Wait- that could actually work. Alex, grab them and toss them out the window. It'll throw them off."

Alex nodded and quickly grabbed a few, tossing them through the window. I heard them crack and the vehicles behind us swerved, the drivers convinced that they were being attacked.

"Okay, Oliver and Alex go!"

"What about you?" Alex furrowed their eyebrows.

"I'll be fine. This is my fault anyway, I deserve to be alone."

"Phil-"

"Go!" I unlocked all the doors and they jumped out together, running into the forest. I checked my rearview mirror to see only one cop car follow them, the last one slowly catching up. I jumped when I heard a gunshot.

They were shooting at me.

I whipped around and yelped, the engine rearing as I went full speed. How was I supposed to jump out at this speed?

I exhaled, unclipping my seatbelt. I pushed open the door and grabbed my black bracelet.

"I won't lose you, Dan." I breathed before throwing myself out of the moving car, rolling and toppling onto the cement. My body instantly stung, the road tearing up my skin. The vehicle, still moving, pushed back from my force and began swerving.

I sat up and noticed the cop car had stopped. I watched intently as the police man stepped out, gun in hand.

"Freeze!"

I chuckled halfheartedly, helping myself up. I dusted myself off.

"Come and get me," I grinned, my face scratched and bleeding. I spat out blood on the ground before sprinting away, running in the shape of a zig-zag so the bullets had less of a chance of hitting me.

I pushed my way through the leaves and trees, squinting and panting as I avoided tripping over fallen branches. I could hear the cop shouting behind me and didn't realize I was crying till I felt a tear run down my cheek.

I was scared. I was actually terrified for once.

I looked around frantically as I rushed through the greens, desperate to find some kind of hiding place.

I took a sharp turn and paused, realizing my mistake when I felt a bullet collide with my forearm. I shrieked and held my arm, breaking into a run again.

I tripped over something and gasped, falling over a small bump and hitting the mud with a thud. I sat up, furrowing my eyebrows. What did I trip over? I was about to get back up when I heard a click.

I froze.

Slowly I turned, hands in the air. There was four of them, all loaded with weapons.

"Wirrow's group?" I questioned.

"Either you come with us or we leave you as bait for those cops out there," the one with the gun aimed at me growled. I gulped.

"I'll die either way."

"But if you die, I promise safety to the others. Dan included."

"Why should I trust you?" I spat.

I heard a shout. "He ran over here!"

The girl with the gun smirked. "Looks like you don't have much of a choice, Lester."

I licked my lips.

"Fine."