Chapter Seven

Time passed so quickly living at Maz's castle cantina. With each passing year, Jano made special marks beside the ones that Ben had made on his lightsaber. So many of them, nearly ten years. She had mastered what she could of the Force, but still practiced daily in the woods. She also kept her mind reading skills at work, she used it on a great many people, but her favorite were those who were deeply drunk. They thought of the weirdest things. In addition to commanding the Force, Jano practiced her saber skills as best as possible. She would block blaster shots that a robot fired at her and her skills at twisting it and spinning it around were impressive. She had memorized different formes of sword fighting from centuries ago and she preformed all the moves well. Belize had talked to Jano again and every now and then they would see each other. If only she didn't take up with that rotten lot. Jano would think each time she left on another party vessel. Jano was almost certain that Belize knew of her Jedi abilities, everytime they met, Belize would give her a strange look and then make an excuse to go somewhere. It's nonsense, I've hidden my abilities very well. Only Maz knows.

Over the years she had helped Maz with the bar and they still talked about the Force from time to time, but never said anything new. One day just before Jano's 29th birthday Maz said, "I'm sending you away."

"What?" Jano said jumping up from her bed. "Why? What did I do wrong?"

"Nothing, child, nothing. I was just thinking of a friend of mine. He's studied the Force far more than I ever have. He's not sensitive to it, but he believes in it more than I believe someone will drink a drop of beer today." Maz said with a chuckle. "You are going to see him a Jakku. An old pal owes me a favor and has agreed to give you passage."

Just like that? Jano thought as she packed her things. and I have to leave within the next four hours. Great warning, Maz, terrific timing.

There wasn't much to pack really. A few shirts, pairs of pants, leather boots Belize had given her. And the saber. Ben's saber. Jano did her best not to think of him often. But every year as she marked another year, she would replay every moment they had spent together in her head. She gently wrapped it in a wool cloak and placed it in her wooden chest.
"Goodbye Maz's castle."

The journey was not long, especially at light speed. They landed about a mile from what looked like a small village. Maz's friend didn't do or say much. Just unloaded her chest and handed her a letter from Maz, to her friend here. As soon as the ship took off, Jano set out for the town, strapping the chest to her back. As she approached the series of tents, an old man came walking towards her.

"Hello. Can I help you, dear girl?"

"Yes. Maz Kanata. Sent me. Here. Umm. Here. Letter." Jano said breathing heavily from the weighted walk. The old man ripped open the letter and scanned it quickly.

"So you are a real Jedi are you?" The old man smiled warmly. "I knew Luke, your teacher. He was an old friend of mine. Maz says in her letter that you want to learn more of the Force. You are very welcome here and it is the perfect place for you."

"Thank you. I'm sorry though, whats your name?" Jano said squinting at the bright sunlight.

"My name is Lor Saan Tekka, leader -you might say- of the believers of the Force."

Weeks flew by and Jano learned a lot from the small village of believers. She pulled out her lightsaber often and no one cared a bit. No secrets. No hiding. But something held her back. She could feel it. She spoke with Tekka about it.

"I have noticed how you shy away from your true feelings, Jano. If you want to move forward, you must come to terms with your past. You have shared with me almost everything concerning your last months in the care of Master Luke, but you did not tell me about when you were young. I do not wish to hear it, but I want you to write it down and remember. It is important to remember what has happened before, so history will not repeat itself." Tekka then handed her a stack of parchment bound on the side by thin strips of leather. "I want you to travel a couple miles away and stay there for two days. Think and write."