Chapter Eight

"I can't be the one to tell you. I... Don't think it's my place. It could've been someone you knew." Poe said putting his hand on her shoulder.

"I didn't know many people." Jano said still wanting to know.

"Don't." He said.

"Don't what?" Jano said halfway through her attempt to read his mind.

"Don't read my mind. You don't need to know it from me."

A voice called from far away. "Dameroen!"

"That's Tekka. I have to go." Poe said running back towards the camp.

"I'll find out someway!" Jano called after him.

It was getting dark, but Jano loved watching the stars come out sat night, so she stayed on the hill. BB-8 had come and sat next to her, keeping her company...somewhat. They were beautiful things, stars. But they were adventures waiting to happen in Jano's mind. Jano was nearly asleep when BB-8 perked up and let out a lot of little beeps.

"What? What is it?" Jano said rubbing sleep from her eyes. BB-8 rolled away as fast as he could. Watching his movements Jano saw that he went into the tent that held Tekka and Poe. Within seconds they both rushed out of the tent. Tekka gave something to Poe and then Poe ran towards his ship. That's when Jano saw them, the ships of the First Order. Grabbing up her lightsaber, Jano ran towards her tent, all the while feeling the parchment containing her past knocking against her leg, as it lay in her pocket. The doors to the ships had barely opened when shots started to be fired. Lasers were everywhere Jano stumbled forward, hiding behind a stack of boxes. In a moment, the world froze and in that moment two things happened. One, Tekka's body fell to the ground. Two, Poe was captured and dragged unto the ship. He caught her eye and shouted hoarsely, struggling in the grip of the troopers. "Run!! Jano! Run!" A figure cloaked in darkness, spun around and searched for someone. The troopers began to execute everyone and burn the encampment. Flashes of that attack years ago hit Jano's mind. One trooper stumbled back and lowered his gun, head shaking. The man who killed Tekka turned slowly and looked at the soldier. No. Not the soldier. Jano thought as the figure turned his head slightly. He's looking at me. Jano prepared for an attack, or even death. But the man just walked away into his ship. What? Why did he- Jano's questions were cut off as the butt of a gun hit her head.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Groggily Jano lifted her head and looked at her surroundings. She was in a cell. She wasn't tied up, but she was in a blank room with a big black window. She felt someone watching her and pressed her back against the opposite wall.

"Who are you?"

Nothing.

"Where am I?" She felt a shift in comfort from the person watching on the other side of the window.

Still Nothing. Jano sunk onto the bench like bed that came out of the wall. Placing her head in her hands she tried not to cry. Fate always deals me such a cruel hand. The presence that she felt disappeared and she waited. Several times she heard screams, yells of agony and somehow she knew it was Poe. She tried to connect with his mind and at one point, thought she had. It's alright, Poe. It'll be okay. Be strong. The screaming got louder after that and Jano tried to cover her ears. Such pain, such terrible, terrible pain. Soon she was sobbing and clutching the edge of the bed. The screams stopped but Jano still shook with sadness. She felt the presence come back, it felt darker, sadder now. Jano easily gave way to the darkness and thought of all the worst. She longed for power to stop this pain, to stop all pain. After about an hour she felt the presence leave again. Time passed slowly and Jano felt like she'd never leave the room. Suddenly the door opened and Poe walked in followed by a trooper, who carried the uniform of a trooper. Poe hugged her tightly, before he quickly kissed her forehead. "Are you alright?"