Chapter 2: 18 Months Later

I exited the batmobile and proceeded to where Alfred was.

"Another successful mission sir." He nodded. "You've once again caught the criminal. But," He smirked at me. "There's still one more mission to complete sir."

I removed my mask and sighed. "I know. But it's more complicated than I thought it would be."

"Well, these things are always complicated." He patted my shoulder.

I huffed. "Yeah, but they shouldn't be this complicated." I thought for a moment. "What the hell do I get Emma for her birthday?"

Yep, that's right. The Batman is stumped over what present to give his daughter for her birthday. Sounds weird, yes, but we've all been there. I mean, Emma wasn't a picky person at all. I could give her a pencil and she'd be the happiest person in the world. But it was going to be her 19th birthday, it should be something special.

"Thats interesting." I heard Alfred say.

I turned to him. "What?"

He pointed to one of the surveillance videos from one of my security cameras. I saw Emma, in her night clothes which were just a tank top and shorts, sitting by the river next to our house. I furrowed my brows in confusion.

"What's she doing out there at 4 in the morning?" I asked.

Alfred shrugged. "Not sure, but it looks like she needs her father right now."

I nodded in agreement and started to take off my bat suit, then dressed in a plain t-shirt and some sweats. I knew it was cold, so I grabbed a blanket and then headed outside where Emma was.

She either didn't hear me coming, or ignored it. I placed the blanket around her shoulders and she looked up at me.

"Thanks." She whispered.

I sat down next to her. "Isn't it a little late to be out here?"

"Or early. Depending on how you look at life."

I sighed. "Don't avoid the question." She was silent. "Did you have the nightmare again?"

I watched her nod. "I'm sorry dad."

I looked at her confused. "For what?"

"For not getting out quick enough that day. If I was just faster, I wouldn't have been stuck and you wouldn't have had to-"

"Emma." I cupped her face with my hands and made her look at me. "What happened wasn't your fault. If it wasn't for me you wouldn't have even been there that day. I had you go there when it should've been me. It was my fault."

Emma shook her head and hugged me, resting her head on my chest. "It's not your fault dad. You saved me."

I sighed and kissed her beautiful auburn hair. "It don't know what I would do if I ever lost you, Emma. I would lose my mind."

She held onto me tighter. "Come on dad, I'm a Wayne."

I chuckled. "That's what worries me sometimes."

"Don't worry about me, dad."

"I'm your father. It's my job to worry about you."

Emma and I ended up staying near the river for about another 30 minutes. When she fell asleep, I picked her up and headed back inside to her room. I gently placed her down on her bed and tucked her in. When I was done, I leaned down and placed a kiss to her forehead.

"I love you peanut."

I whispered to her sleeping form then walked to her door. But before walking put, I took one more look at her and smiled. Emma was literally the best thing that has ever happened to me, and I was going to protect her from anything and anyone.

I closed the door then headed to my room for a few hours of sleep.

____________________________________

Emma's POV

I grabbed my keys and headed out the door.

"I'll see you later dad!" I called out to him.

"Be careful!" He said back.

"Always am!"

I then closed and locked the door before walking to my silver Jetta Volkswagon. I turned the car on and drove off towards Metropolis. I just wanted to get out of Gotham for awhile.

The car ride to Metropolis takes about 45 minutes. Metropolis was nice. Typical kind of big city. Most of the people were assholes, but there were moments when it was nice. Like when I'm at the one of the higher levels of Wayne Industries, I could see the sunset. I've always loved watching the sunset. It gave me peace.

Once I arrived in Metropolis, I headed towards my favorite café. Seriously, their caramel macchiatos are freaking heaven.

I parked my car and paid the toll for about 3 hours. I wanted to go to the park and relax, maybe sketch a thing or two.

_________________________________

I sat on the park bench with my sketch book in my lap, drawing the scenery in front of me. Two redwoods and a small pong with a swan swimming in it. I reached over to take a sip of my coffee, but a gust of wind caused my book to go flying.

"No! Dammit!" I jogged over to where it fell on the ground, but there was already someone there picking it up.

The tall man bent down and picked up my book then smiled to me. "I'm assuming this is yours."

I smiled back. "Yeah. Thanks."

He looked over my unfinished sketch of the nature I was drawing then handed me my book. "Beautiful drawing. Not many people can get that much detail in a sketch like you."

"Thank you. I've been drawing since I was 3, so I've had some time to practice."

He grinned and that's when I saw his pearly whites. He was a handsome man. Black, curly hair. Blue eyes. Manly jaw.

The man stuck out his hand for me to shake. "Clark Kent."

I took it. "Emma Wayne."

"It's nice to meet you Emma."

"You too Clark." I was a bit surprised that he didn't know me. But I wasn't complaining. It was nice to meet someone that doesn't know who I am, or my father.

Suddenly my phone started to ring.

Speak of the devil.

"Sorry." I said to Clark. I pulled out my phone from my pocket and picked it up. "Hello?"

"Emma, where are you?" Dad asked.

"At the park in Metropolis. Why?"

"We've been invited to Lex's party. Why don't you head back so we can get ready."

"Alright. I'll be home in an hour."

"Be careful baby. I love you."

"Love you too dad." I hung up and smiled shyly at Clark. "Sorry. My dad is a bit overprotective."

Clark chuckled. "No worries. I know what that feels like."

"Well, I do hope to see you again Clark. You're a nice man."

I stuck out my hand to shake his. He took it, but raised it up to his lips to give a soft kiss. "You too Emma. It was lovely to meet you."

I blushed. I then waved goodbye and walked away. My heart almost bursting through my chest the whole way home.