Chapter 10: Birthday

Bruce's POV

I had just finished converting the krytonite rock into gas and was walking upstairs to the living room. I stopped and smiled when I saw Emma sleeping soundly on the couch. Tomorrow was her 19th birthday, and I couldn't believe how time flew by.

I approached and gently picked her up, taking her to her bedroom and placing her down on the bed. I tucked her in and kissed her forehead.

"Night peanut."

I walked out and closed the door behind me just as Alfred walked up.

"She asleep?" He asked.

I nodded. "Yeah. Are we ready for tomorrow?"

"Yes sir. Everything is prepared."

"Good."

___________________________________

The next morning, I woke up early to set everything up with Alfred. He got the cake ready as I set up the balloons.

I heard footsteps and signaled to Alfred to get ready.

Emma walked downstairs, but when she looked up she stopped in surprise. I smiled at her.

"Happy birthday Emma."

She smiled with tears in her eyes and hugged me and Alfred. "Thank you." She whispered.

I chuckled. "Here." I gestured to the cake in Alfred's hands. "Make a wish."

Emma closed her eyes for a second then blew out the candles.

"What did you wish for?" Alfred asked.

Emma smiled. "It already came true."

___________________________________

The three of us sat at the table, eating some cake when the doorbell rang. I stood. "I'll get it."

I walked over and opened the front door to see Clark standing there with a present in his hand.

I nodded to him. "Kent, what a surprise."

He shifted on his feet. "I um... wanted to come and surprise Emma. She's still here right?"

I nodded and crossed my arms. "Yeah, she's still here."

There was a moment of silence between us before he cleared his throat. "Can I come in?"

"Let me ask you something." I narrowed my eyes at him. "You nearly gave my daughter a heartattack when you didn't call her. She was worried sick. What's your excuse for that?"

Clark looked down, then back uo at me. "I have none sir. Hurting your daughter is the last thing I ever want to do. Mr. Wayne, I love Emma. More than anything. I would do anything for her. And that also means preventing you from getting between us."

I searched his eyes. I saw determination and love. I smiled. "That's what I wanna hear." I stepped aside. "Come on in."

Clark seemed to relax and stepped inside. I lead him to the dining room where Emma and Alfred were.

"Clark!" Emma grinned and jumped into Clark's arms. "You're here!"

Clark smiled at her. "Of course I am. I wouldn't miss my girlfriend's birthday." He handed her the small, thin box. "Here. Happy birthday Emma."

Emma took the box and opened it. Inside was a locket shaped like a heart. I saw that it was engraved.

To My Other Half.

Emma looked up at Clark. "Clark, it's beautiful."

Clark grinned. "Open it."

Emma did and inside was a picture. It was of Clark and Emma. They had their foreheads together and were grinning. Emma had her eyes closed, but Clark was gazing at Emma. It was a beautiful picture.

Emma wiped away a tear. "I love it." She leaned up a kissed Clark's cheek. "Thank you."

"For you, anything."

I smiled at the two. Clark and I may have gotten off on the wrong foot, but Emma loved him, and he loved her.

That was enough for me.