[XII] PLANNING

The team came back to the ship in lower spirits than they'd ever experienced together, racing to get Kendra to the med bay so they wouldn't lose yet another member of their team. Carter was dead, and Sara was the only woman left standing. They were having a rough day for sure. And it was about to get much worse.

After getting Hawkgirl into med bay and set up in one of the rest chairs under Gideon's care, they realized something wasn't right. It took a moment, but finally it clicked. The room was empty.

Maya was gone. 

Jax and Sara scoured the ship looking for her, but she was nowhere to be found. When Rip returned with Professor Stein from their trip to see his future intact, there was only bad news waiting for them. 

"How is Kendra?"

"The same," Sara replied glumly.

"And Maya? I noticed she is no longer in medical, has she recovered?"

When no one answered, Rip asked his trusty AI. "Gideon, where is Miss Henderson?"

"I'm afraid she woke from her almost comatose state, and promptly abandoned the ship. I believe her injuries might have resulted in some slight memory loss. I cannot deduce whether or not it will be permanent with the current scans I have."

Rip's mouth fell open; he had obviously thought the night couldn't get worse. When he finally recovered from his shock, he turned to his comrades. "Have you all come up with a plan?"

"I thought that was your job, Captain." Snart said, raising an eyebrow in disdain. He was worried about the troublesome blonde woman, but he wasn't about to let it show.

Rip struggled to keep from rolling his eyes as he turned to face someone some helpful. "Sara, Jefferson. I know you two are particularly invested in Maya's return. Have you worked up anything?"

"What the hell does that mean?" Sara asked indignantly, trying to conceal her worry that Rip could possibly know something she'd only just realized.

"You are friends, are you not?" The Time Master responded patiently. 

 "Well, yeah. Obviously, but what-"

"He just means we care about her more than the rest of these guys, it's not that big of a deal." Jax cut her off before she could waste more time. He would've already gone out looking, but Ray had insisted that they wait for Rip. "And yeah, I do have a plan." 

He glanced around the room, making sure everyone was paying attention before he continued. "I was thinking that since Stein is familiar with this place, me and him could go out looking in town. Sara and Ray could search the woods, and the rest of you stay on the ship in case she comes back, and because we clearly shouldn't leave Kendra alone while she's incapacitated. Does that sound good?"

The captain considered it for a moment, clearly not thrilled by the prospect of staying on the ship with two slightly unstable criminals with dangerous guns and ulterior motives, but in the end, he sighed and agreed. "That sounds good, Jackson. Now everyone, keep in mind we don't know how far back her memory loss reached, she might not remember some of us. But she's far too dangerous to leave out there alone for too long, so we can't waste any time getting her back."

Jax nodded and looked to his partner. "Come on old man, let's go find us a confused and unstable metahuman. What could go wrong?"