Chapter 10: Shadows Lurking

APHMAU'S POV

Things were going from bad to worse. First two members of our group are gone, then the entire boat disappeared? But... would they really have just left us? I mean, Chad, maybe, but Aaron? Honestly, I doubt even Chad would leave.

"What now?" Travis asked.

"I-umm," I stuttered.

"Maybe we should return to Phoenix Drop and see if they know anything?" Laurance said gently.

"Y-yeah, I guess that would be the best course of action." I nodded.

"Also, I really hate to do this, but should we ask Brendan for more of his horses? I know we already took a few, but Phoenix Drop is quite a ways away and we can't afford to waste any time." Laurance bit his lip.

"I don't want to do it either... but it seems like our only option at this point. Let's go." We started walking in the direction of Brendan's horse ranch.

Later...

"There! The walls of Phoenix Drop!" I cried, pointing my finger. I could see Alexis on the wall, she had just spotted us.

"Aphmau? Is that you? Raise the gates!" She called. "Kyle, fetch Lord Levin and Malachi."

We entered the gates just in time to see Kyle rounding the corner in the direction of my sons' house.

"Aphmau!" Alexis walked up to me with a worried expression, "are you okay? You're so pale, you look like you've seen a ghost!"

"F-fine, but Alexis, I need to see Levin and Malachi as SOON as possible."

"Mom!"

"Mom?"

I looked around and all of a sudden, both were by my side. Levin looked puzzled while Malachi looked concerned.

"Mom, why are you here? Did something happen in New Meteli?"

"Is something wrong??"

"Yes," I nodded, "something is very wrong. You remember the boat we left on?" they both nodded. "We had finished saving the citizens of Meteli when we noticed two of the crew members that came with us were gone. Initially, we were not panicked...."

Travis snorted, and out of the corner of my eye I saw Laurance kick him, "Ow..."

"But when we went to check the boat, the boat was gone." I finished quickly.

"Oh..." Levin ran his hand through his hair.

"What can we do?" asked Malachi. He leaned over an whispered "Alexis, quickly, check the shoreline." to which she nodded and ran off.

"Well, first off, have you seen anything unusual? Like... a big boat with no captain?" I smiled.

Levin smiled back, "No, we've not seen anything of the sort. However, I am glad to hear that New Meteli is okay, ever since you went there we've been seeing less and less of those things around. Anyway, we'll be sure to keep a lookout. Perhaps you'd like to meet Alexis down at the shoreline?" He gestured in the direction.

"Good idea, thank you, Levin," I hugged him goodbye.

"I'm sorry your visit had to be so short, mom." Malachi said.

"I am too. I'll come visit before long though, now that we've found a place to start our village." And with that, we rode toward the shoreline. We arrived to find Alexis scouring the beach.

"I'm sorry, Aphmau." Alexis said miserably. "It's just so enclosed here, I can't see anything!" She hung her head.

I opened my mouth to reply, but Laurance was faster. "Alexis, it's okay. We'll ride our horses down the shoreline in the direction of Meteli, maybe we'll find something.

"Laurance is right, it's not your fault," I smiled. "We should be going though, goodbye, Alexis!"

I saw a smile flicker "Bye Aphmau, bye Laurance."

Later...

"Laurance, I don't think we're going to find them. It's been an hour and nothing!" Katelyn said.

"We're not to Meteli yet, there's still a chance!" He said determinedly.

"Look, just give it up, okay. This beautiful girl here is tired, how un-gentlemanly would it be to make her wander in this heat for hours." Travis smirked at Katelyn. "OW!"

I didn't see the exchange because I was in front of the line, but I'm sure Katelyn punched him. I'm sure that was Lucinda I heard pouting back there too. To be honest, I'm starting to think Travis is right. There's been no sign of anything.

"Just a little further!" Laurance encouraged.

"AAAH, STAY AWAY FROM MICHI YOU CREEPY OLD MAN. NYA~"

"BUT TELL ME, DO YOU ONLY HAVE FELINE EARS OR DID YOUR SPECIES EVOLVE WITH BOTH FELINE AND HUMAN EARS?!?!"

"Is that..."

"No way..."

I started laughing, "that's them all right!" We rounded the corner, and sure enough, there was the boat.

"Chad?? Aaron??" I called.

"Miss Aphmau is that you? Come aboard and untie me, I must investigate this Meif'wa further!"

"Nooo please don't untie him, please, I'll do anything, nya~" Michi wailed as we climbed aboard the boat. The three of them were tied up against the mast, Chad leaning in very close to Michi, Michi leaning away, looking like she was about to cry, and Aaron on the opposite side slowly banging the back of his head against the mast. All three of them looked hungry and slightly dehydrated.

It was that moment that Aaron finally noticed us. "Aphmau," he managed to croak out in a dry voice. "Sasha... she's gone."

I'M SORRY I HONESTLY DON'T MEAN TO DO CLIFFHANGERS IT JUST HAPPENS.

Anyway, thank you so, so much for reading, I had a lot of fun writing this chapter!

Ciao~ (*≧▽≦)ノシ))