Chapter 16: Return To the Light

APHMAU'S POV

Vincent's news didn't make me feel any better. My heart was broken, torn into shreds, but I couldn't leave Garroth, he was my friend too.

Everyone was gathered in from of the Irene dimesion portal frame, the one we had come out from just months ago. It felt like years.

"A-Aphmau senpai?~" Kawaii~Chan stepped in front of me, tears welling in her eyes. "Please... don't leave... not again."

"Kawaii~Chan... I have to do this. We won't be gone 15 years, the portal doesn't stay open long. We're going to get Garroth and run out. Maybe a year at most." I tried to comfort her. To be honest though, I was having second thoughts. I looked at all of their faces. Zoey, Levin, Malachi, Dante, Donna, Logan and all of the others. It was so hard to leave them the first time, could I really do it again?

"Are you sure you want to do this, Aphmau?" Vincent asked.

I took a deep breath, "we have to. For Garroth. How exactly will this work?"

"I heard that one of the villagers of Phoenix Drop... Zoey, was it? Used their immortality as a sacrifice to gain entrance to the Irene dimension. I have immortality. I will sacrifice mine."

"You... you would do that? Vincent..."

He held his hand up. "When you killed the shadow lord, something inside of me changed. I could still transform to my shadow knight form at will, I still had my immortality but... I no longer felt the pull to the darkness. The desire to join the shadows had left me. You freed me from this pain, it is only right that I free your friend."

"W-what? So you mean shadow knights won't do anything... shadow knight-y anymore?" I cocked my head.

"Unless they were deeply corrupt before they were turned, no. But I don't believe I match that description." I saw him smile. I don't think I've ever seem him smile.

I turned back to the crowd of people. "Everybody... we will try to take as little time as possible. Don't give up, because we will come back." I smiled "with Garroth."

"Goodbye, Aphmau!!" Everyone smiled back with tears in their eyes.

"Goodbye, mom." Malachi and Levin hugged me. "We'll miss you. Please, come back... don't leave us again..."

"My sweet sons... I will always come back." A tear slid down my cheek. I wanted to stay there forever, but there was no time to waste.

"Zoey. Vincent. Are you ready?" I asked. They both nodded. "Begin."

Zoey closed her eyes and focused her energy muttering under her breath. Everyone gasped as the portal frame began to glow brighter and brighter. It was nearly too bright to look at when Vincent collapsed.

"VINCENT!" Cadenza screamed, diving toward him.

"Aphmau! Go! I can't keep it open for long!" Zoey yelled.

Without another word, I ran to the light, Katelyn, Aaron, Travis, and Lucinda behind me.

Hey guys~ thanks so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed!

Ciao~