Chapter Fifteen

SURPRISE DOUBLE UPDATE!

I couldn't stop writing and I couldn't wait 'til Friday to post because I am so excited for the plot to thicken. :D I also figured no one would really be that upset with getting two chapters in one day. hehe.

XOXO

sophie9630

****

FIFTEEN

When Abbie's eyes opened again, she did not find herself staring up at the wooden ceiling of the captain's quarters. She was not lying on the cot clutching the raggedy blanket, nor was her head resting upon the flimsy pillow she had come to know in her sleep.

Rather, when Abbie's eyes opened again, she found herself staring up into two very concerned faces.

Slim and Finn were terribly out of breath as if they had just been running. They cradled her in their clasped arms as if she were a small child.

Slowly, they helped her to her feet, but she was unsuccessful in standing on her own. Immediately the world tilted from under her and Abbie toppled over into Finn, whose arms were still prepared as if he'd known she would fall.

He smelled of seawater and a faint hint of dirt from their earlier escapade in the farmer's field, which was strangely endearing.

With her ear pressed to his chest, she heard his heart beating. It was very rapid, as if he were afraid or perhaps excited. Glancing up at him with a happy grin, Abbie couldn't tell which emotion was hidden behind his eyes.

To her left there was a cough, and Abbie saw Slim's cheeks on fire as he tried to stare anywhere but at the odd pair.

"Well, right then. Everythin's all good here so I 'spose I'll, uh, let Finn handle things from here, uh, right, Finn?"

Above her, Abbie felt Finn nod curtly. She was still intrigued by the sound of his heart, laughing when it sped up as he listened to Slim. He peered down at her with a quizzical glance and it quickened again.

"Abbie," Finn said, pulling her away to face him. He held her by the shoulders, his fingers brushing the skin on her arm. "What the hell were you doing up there drinking by yourself? You could have gotten yourself seriously injured, or worse!"

"No, I couldn'ta. Th'wind was gon' carry me to muhbed."

The words she wished to say were perfectly contained in her mind, but as they passed her lips, Abbie wondered what was wrong. She didn't normally sound so uncultured... Maybe she was spending too much time around the pirates and was simply adopting their way of speaking.

Finn started to speak but thought better of it. Instead, he wrapped his arms around Abbie's frame and gently began to pull her along.

"Well then, why don't we get you to bed so you can sleep away this whole mess? You are lookin' a bit tired," Finn said exasperatedly.

"What mess? Is there a mess?" Abbie swiveled her head around to survey the ship, expecting to see dead bodies and splintered wood. Nothing but a setting sun shining on hardworking pirates cleaning their ship greeted her, and Abbie wondered what Finn was talking about.

"Never mind that now, let's get you settled down here."

Finn elbowed the door open and ushered Abbie inside. Abbie, still tripping over her feet, let him lead and sit her down on the cot.

A happy sigh escaped Abbie as she settled into the familiar sag of the worn cot. Nailed to the floor to prevent it from moving under every bob of the ocean, Abbie felt as if the cot were the only stable thing on the ship. No matter what events transpired that day, Abbie knew she could count on the cot being there in the evening.