Chapter Thirty Five

THIRTY-FIVE

Interrogating Finn had taken some effort, but with everything he wanted so close at hand the lord Haughtington determined not to give up.

The lord had gone into the jailhouse that morning expecting to get his information, but the Irish bastard lasted for quite a while remaining tight-lipped. Haughtington had believed a second day might have been in need to get a confession, but after a few more hours of repeated questioning, abuse, and isolation something in the Irish man shifted.

Finn had already been in a terrible condition when Haughtington confronted him. His cheeks were sunken and the discoloration under his eyes suggested he had not slept in a very, very long time.

At first, Haughtington believed the pirate might have been too far out of reality to react to his torture; all Finn seemed to be doing was counting the bricks of the floor over and over again. Nothing Haughtington did seemed to matter. Not a single blow elicited a cry of pain nor did his menacing questions receive response.

But it the end, leaving Finn to rot for a week worked in Haughtington's favor. His already weak constitution was that much more malleable, and Haughtington's patience endured far longer than any strength the pirate might have possessed. By early evening the pirate caved.

It had not been intentional to leave him so long, of course, for the lord had demanded entrance to the jailhouse immediately after the altercation a week ago. Rather frustrating to discover, however, Haughtington had found help from the most upstanding commodore in the British navy. Not even his title or any offer of money could convince the man to allow Haughtington in.

"The incident must be properly reported, your grace. As much as I would love to see those filthy pirates hanged, we cannot do so until the magistrate is made aware."

Haughtington had never heard such nonsense. Most naval officers were savvy on taking down pirates by any means necessary, legal or otherwise. This man however, insisted that the law be followed to the letter.

"It will not take long, your lordship, I promise you that."

One week later, Haughtington was ready to wring someone's neck.

"He was on vacation in France for his daughter's wedding, you see," the jail warden muttered as an excuse. Why did every thorn in Haughtington's side stem from weddings in France?

The moment the magistrate claimed the men guilty and approved the motion for a hanging, Haughtington was in the jailhouse ready to get down to business. The warden claimed that extra punishment was unnecessary and excessive, but Haughtington's promise of thirty pounds quickly silenced him.

One by one the dominoes fell and when Finn finally cracked, nothing was standing between Haughtington and his future any longer.

"You... You must promise to keep her... in the city until... Until she is well enough to travel," Finn sputtered, the firm resolve in his eyes crumbling. "I will not tell you unless you can... Promise me this."

Haughtington scoffed, outraged that the pirate had the nerve to offer him a deal. The lord clearly stood on higher ground... But for the pirate to take his chances saying something so outlandish gave Haughtington pause.

"You do not wish to beg for your life, scoundrel?"

"If she is already dead...my life means nothing," Finn replied, lifting himself a little higher off the ground. He grunted in pain but remained with his eyes locked on Haughtington's. "But if she lives, your title and your wealth can keep her safe and protected...can give her access to things that I never could. I will die knowing she has a chance to live the life she deserves."