Chapter Twenty Five

The internet has been out at my house for the last few days. (cries forever)

I wanted to post this earlier, but obviously that didn't happen...

Sorry for the long wait!

XOXO

sophie9630

****

TWENTY-FIVE

"You what?"

"I agreed to let your father join the treasure hunt."

So Finn had heard correctly. It hadn't been the sleep deprivation or a wild hallucination when Captain Porter had barged into the sleeping quarters and dragged him to the hidden study under the captain's quarters.

Weaving around the hallways of the lower deck, Finn was absolutely sure he had misheard Port. But now, standing in front of him wearing a mask of utter shock, the reality of his captain's words sunk in.

"What the hell are you thinking, Port?" He shouted back, careful not to raise his voice too much. Only a few feet of wood separated Finn and the Captain from Abbie and Maliyah who were likely sleeping soundly above them.

"I don't take to kindly to ye talkin' ta me like 'at, boy," Port started, arms crossed coolly across his chest. "You seem ta think 'at I like this idea. I did this fer the greater good, Finn, you just gotta—"

"The greater good?" Finn blurted, throwing a skeptical glare to his uncle. "How is letting the deadliest pirate in the Seven Seas assist us for 'the greater good'?"

Inhaling sharply, Port scratched his bearded face. "I know the last few days 'ave been rough fer ya, Finn, but you gotta trust me. It's because he's the deadliest pirate that I agreed ta let 'im join. He already knows where we are. Imagine the damage 'e could do if provoked the wrong way? My crew's lives would be in danger. Your life would be in danger. Abbie's and Maliyah's too. 'N I can't have 'at."

Rocking back on his heels, Finn scowled. Port had a point.

If his father were as crazy a man as the rumors painted him to be, especially the ones involving his merciless rage, sending him away might have been the gravest mistake Port could make.

Finn certainly would not live with himself if something terrible befell Abbie at the hands of his father.

"An' if ya think abou' it, with 'is men, we have twice as many bodies out searchin' fer treasure..." Port mentioned quietly.

"How do we know he won't betray us if one of his teams finds it first?"

Nodding sagely, Port shook a single finger in the air. "Already tho't 'bout that one. We've decided to regroup my men an' throw in a few'a his. 'At way, one group can't take credit for findin' it first."

He knew it was a rather good solution to the problem, but Finn wasn't quite satisfied with that answer.

"Sure, but what if my father's men kill yours first?"

For the first time in a long time, Port laughed. He paid no mind to quietness as his body shook with joy. Finn was about to ask what was so funny when Port spoke up.

"Yer underestimatin' yer crewmates, Finn. They'd put up a good fight, an' would prolly take my brother's men if threatened."

As the captain returned to his fit of laughter, Finn huffed. Obviously there wasn't anything he could say to convince Port to deny his father permission. Letting his head fall back, Finn let out another sigh.